• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Random Fleece Questions

Helen82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After nearly a year of using Carefresh (and too scared to work out how much that has cost) I think I might be pondering a switch to fleece... I've been having a read of some of the threads about it, but wondered if anybody has the answers to these questions:

1) If I bought a readymade fleece cage liner (with zorb inside) can I just put that straight onto the correx cage base or would there need to be a layer of something else between the liner and the correx?
2) If I bought a readymade fleece cage liner (with zorb inside) to fit a 2x5 C&C cage, would it (and a horse wash bag) fit into my 7kg load washing machine?
3) If I bought a Moorland Rider horsewear wash bag, would I need the large bag or the jumbo bag?
4) I use Ariel 3-in-1 pods for my washing which go directly into the drum; is it okay to put a pod in the drum with the bagged fleece cage liner?
5) What exactly is zorb and is it dangerous if a guinea pig chewed through the fleece and ate some of it?

These are my main concerns at the moment though I'm sure there's something I've missed!

Hi there.

1) it would depend whether they put something inside which takes the wetness away from the top fleece. I think they’re meant to wick so you may not. But you can always confirm with the seller.

2) yes it should do. I use a 9kg machine and fit a liner plus a bath mat or two in there so you should be ok. I’d say not to overload the wash bag though.

3) I’d buy the jumbo.

4) I’m not sure on this one. I guess it’s ok because ultimately the soap does go in. I’d maybe do an extra rinse but I’m sure it would be fine.

5) zorb is a little like...batting or the movers’ blankets. It absorbs any fluid any fluid really well. I have a liner that’s part zorb. I don’t think it’s very likely the piggies would chew through the fleece and get to the zorb. I don’t think there have been any incidents like that.

I use zorb liners and think they're great.

1) I put puppy liners under the heavy traffic areas (mostly the corners for mine!), just like people will often put pee pads in heavy traffic areas, but find that the liners work well and don't otherwise require anything else.

2) The liners I have are lovely and light, and both my 2x5 and 2x6 easily fit in my washing machine(I usually stuff them inside a duvet cover, so definitely think they would fit with a horsebag!). One of the main reasons I got the liners is because they're a lot lighter in comparison to other liners in my experience. I was worried about whether my washing machine would be able to cope.

3) I'm not too sure on that one.

4) I would always, always go with a non-bio tablet/powder as piggies can be quite sensitive. I buy separate non-bio tablets for the guinea pigs and find this works well. I just use one tablet instead of 2, and also add in some white vinegar with each wash.

5) I don't think it's very likely for a piggy to try and chew fleece. I have six, and none of mine have ever attempted it.

I would say...

1) Depends on the liner- thinner ones may need a mattress protector or puppy mat underneath in high traffic areas, but mostly they are fine as they are

2) my washing machine struggles a bit with my thickest most absorbent 2x5 fleece, and I struggle a bit too brushing it down, so I usually use two overlapped 2x3 fleece liners in my 2x5 area

3) not sure- I didnt get on with horse wash bags, they wouldnt spin properly for me and clonked about as a big wet lump!

4) I wash my piggy fleece with half a capful of dettol (the sort for bathing cuts and grazes and washing handkerchiefs, not the floor and toilet cleaning type) in the detergent drawer, no detergent. You dont want to add anything that has a fabric softener component as the fleece won't wick and absorb the pee then.

5) I've never heard of a piggy eating through a fleece liner, I think enough people use them its considered safe!

Thanks all for your answers! I checked the Ariel pods and they are 'bio' rather than 'non-bio' so I can't use them. I'm going to do a test run with an old fleece blanket and some old towels and see how we get on. As I type the fleece is in the washing machine (non-bio washing powder, no fabric conditioner) to see if I can get it to wick...

Thanks all for your answers! I checked the Ariel pods and they are 'bio' rather than 'non-bio' so I can't use them. I'm going to do a test run with an old fleece blanket and some old towels and see how we get on. As I type the fleece is in the washing machine (non-bio washing powder, no fabric conditioner) to see if I can get it to wick...
3 washes at 60 degrees should get it to wick :)

Hi, Zorb is a mainly Cellulostic fiber fabric (cotton, bamboo, tencel), it was originally designed for use in incontinence products and reuseable nappies, it does have some polyester fiber in it bond it together but I would certainly say to would be a lot safer if a guinea pig did eat it to polyester wadding which a lot of the liners on the market seem to contain. In all the years I've made liners I've never known a guinea pig to eat one!

Hope that is of some help.

Hi, Zorb is a mainly Cellulostic fiber fabric (cotton, bamboo, tencel), it was originally designed for use in incontinence products and reuseable nappies, it does have some polyester fiber in it bond it together but I would certainly say to would be a lot safer if a guinea pig did eat it to polyester wadding which a lot of the liners on the market seem to contain. In all the years I've made liners I've never known a guinea pig to eat one!

Hope that is of some help.
Thanks - good to know! I only asked because my two will try to eat anything...plastic, carpet, wallpaper, walls :eek:

Back