• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Random weight loss in 4 month old piggy

Emx93

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Hi, so slight weight issue with flower who was born 19/03/20 so is about 4.5 months. 8 days ago she was 569g, yesterday she was 528g, so I decided to do a reweigh today and she was 498g 🤔 I'm guessing it triggers another reweigh at the same time tomorrrow and a vet trip Monday if weights still going down but she seems fine in herself, appears to be eating and acting as normal and hasn't lost gallons of weight just at 4months I wouldn't expect any loss really. I have recovery food in the house do I need to offer it at this stage or should we just keep a close eye since the weight loss isn't extreme and if things don't start heading in the right direction or anything dramatically goes wrong book a vet appointment? I'm not sure what the procedure is with young pigs and weight loss! 😱 Thankyou :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_183123.jpg
    IMG_20200728_183123.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi, so slight weight issue with flower who was born 19/03/20 so is about 4.5 months. 8 days ago she was 569g, yesterday she was 528g, so I decided to do a reweigh today and she was 498g 🤔 I'm guessing it triggers another reweigh at the same time tomorrrow and a vet trip Monday if weights still going down but she seems fine in herself, appears to be eating and acting as normal and hasn't lost gallons of weight just at 4months I wouldn't expect any loss really. I have recovery food in the house do I need to offer it at this stage or should we just keep a close eye since the weight loss isn't extreme and if things don't start heading in the right direction or anything dramatically goes wrong book a vet appointment? I'm not sure what the procedure is with young pigs and weight loss! 😱 Thankyou :)

Definitely time to have her checked. Please keep in mind that the hot weather could have played a part.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Definitely time to have her checked. Please keep in mind that the hot weather could have played a part.
Thankyou I did think that, my house has been rather hot! Should I offer her recovery food tonight? X

Thankyou I did think that, my house has been rather hot! Should I offer her recovery food tonight? X

Yes, see how she takes it.

I have linked our hot weather/heat stroke and exhaustion guide with all the necessary information into my last post; you will find it very helpful as the next heat wave is on its way for the next weekend... :(

Here is our emergency, crisis and bridging care guide: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

You may want to bookmark both guides. All the best! The good news is that she is not flat so she is not to badly affected.

Yes, see how she takes it.

I have linked our hot weather/heat stroke and exhaustion guide with all the necessary information into my last post; you will find it very helpful as the next heat wave is on its way for the next weekend... :(

Here is our emergency, crisis and bridging care guide: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

You may want to bookmark both guides. All the best! The good news is that she is not flat so she is not to badly affected.
Thankyou 💞 heatwaves are not my favourite thing I must admit 😑

Thankyou 💞 heatwaves are not my favourite thing I must admit 😑

Neither are they mine! I used to love the UK because I loved the moderate climate...

You can find lots of tips on how to keep your flat/house as cool as possible and not just the cage area in the guide, too. It is the most comprehensive guide you can find on this subject.

Neither are they mine! I used to love the UK because I loved the moderate climate...

You can find lots of tips on how to keep your flat/house as cool as possible and not just the cage area in the guide, too. It is the most comprehensive guide you can find on this subject.
Thankyou I am going to try the damp fabric I think 😎 as for most of the other ones--they live in my room at the opposite side to the window, curtains and windows are permenantly closed and they have frozen bottles wrapped in Blankets (which they haven't gone near so I assumed we were OK 🤞) the last heatwave my hamster had what looked like a fit and became dehydrated (he thankfully recovered quickly with rehydration) so now I dread heatwaves with the small furries! Not to mention its not pleasant for us humans either!

Back