• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

rapid breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Banton213

ok. sadly my guinea pig is breathing very fast. I am worried and hoping it goes away. What happened was that she probably got a shock from me trying to shower her. she's roughly 2 months. I dont want the sad thing to happen to her. What could it be? all she does is eat lightly and stay in a corner...quietly. :'(

She sounds poorly to me - is there any way you can get her to an emergency vets?

My first thought is a respiratory tract infection - if this is the problem she will need antibiotics and probiotics straight away.

For future reference please do not use the shower on a piggie - it will scare them and it could be very dangerous to them. If you want to bath her just do it in the sink or bath with a few inches of warm water.

Please let us know how she gets on.

If it just came n aftert the shower then as you say itcould well be shock, or an illness due to her getting water in her airways Suct as URI as Kate suggests (or worse things like pnemonia). I'm very worried... Please get your piggy seen by an expert. I don't think she can wait, especially with her being so young. Ring The CCT on 07721 026401 please for advice and your vet.

Fingers and toes crossed for her

thanks for the support guys. I think the number you gave me is fro mthe UK and unfortunantly I'm in the U.S. and most vets are closed. I said a small prayer for my guinea. I dont care if it seems silly, I just have that much faith. One new thing Ive noticed is thatin between her head to her legs, basically the rib area...is skinny I dont know if its her fur thats flat or what. but she's hangin' in there. I'm looking for vets like crazy

Sorrry I didn't realsie. Please get her to an emergency vet... even if you have to drive a way to another town. The advice is not to bath a piggy under 3 months so such a young piggy to have water on her from a shower... its a big worry and she sounds very sick. So young they go down hill fast... I lost a young piggy myself a couple of years ago and it was heart breaking! Am praying that she makes it too but I think she may need a helping hand.

keep us informed please

well i just noticed her new droppings. they are 2x as small, they are no longer greenish and bean like but they look like lead from a mechanical pencil and very silverish/black. I'm tyring to get her to eat and drink water as she is refusing

She really needs the vets now - do you have an emergency clinic near you?

If you google Guinea Lynx there is an emergency medical forum on there run by people in the US - they may be able to point you in the direction of a clinic near you.

unfortunanatly I wasnt able to find any clinic near my area that attended small animals. damn. Well I had to go to work later and when I came back I was in tears when my gal told me that my Chloe passed away. Who knew that one could grow so attached to these furry things? :'( :'(

I'll miss her alot. She was one in a million. Everything you could ask for in a good obiedient guinea.

thanks for the input and help yall. can thelp but to feel guilty (sigh).

thanks for the thoughts guys. your the best, I'm glad I had someone to go to. you guys are really special.

I'm sorry for your loss. It is always terrible to lose a special friend, and nothing anyone can say can make the pain go away.

What I have learnt (the hard way) is that you have to act straight away when you first notice things are wrong.

Rest in Peace sweetheart.

I think this sad loss should serve a reminder to us all to have emergency vets details to hand even though we hope never to use them. I have emergency vet number stored in my phone just incase as well as my regular surgery number. Pigs go downhill so quickly that it always pays to be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back