• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rate my cage!

Lexi_os662

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 boars, they are 4 months old they live in a 4x2 Kavee c&c cage. This is the minimal reccomendation for 2 pigs (mainly sows) boars need slightly more room but because my pigs are still really young (there tiny) this is plenty of room for them for now they have plenty of space to run around, play, and relax. They also get out of cage time at least an hour a day to free roam. They are still quite nervous so when they are free roaming sometimes they chew the cage bars to go back inside. Once they have grown I do plan on expanding my cage into a 5x2 which is the reccomended size for 2 boars but for now this will do. Also please ignore the mess I spot cleaned there cage this morning and this is how they have left it😩!

Hi I have 2 boars, they are 4 months old they live in a 4x2 Kavee c&c cage. This is the minimal reccomendation for 2 pigs (mainly sows) boars need slightly more room but because my pigs are still really young (there tiny) this is plenty of room for them for now they have plenty of space to run around, play, and relax. They also get out of cage time at least an hour a day to free roam. They are still quite nervous so when they are free roaming sometimes they chew the cage bars to go back inside. Once they have grown I do plan on expanding my cage into a 5x2 which is the reccomended size for 2 boars but for now this will do. Also please ignore the mess I spot cleaned there cage this morning and this is how they have left it😩!

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum
It’s a lovely cage but I can see a few potential issues given you are dealing with boars just entering their teens

When you change the cage size to a 5x2, doing so will be a change of territory and will set off a new round of dominance and cause them to reestablish their relationship. Consequently, it is recommended that they are in the correct size from the beginning so to avoid disrupting their bond while they are teenagers. Just because they are physically small now does not mean they can get away with less space (in fact it is the time when they need most space). If you change them to a 5x2 now then it will be of benefit.
You will need to ensure you use soiled bedding when you expand the cage so they still smell it as their own territory and help minimise issues.

It is also recommended that there are no single exit hides while you are dealing with teenage boars. This means that both the fleece tent and pink house have the potential to be flash points for trouble and should ideally be removed and replaced for tunnels.

Please do also ensure there are two water bottles and two hay piles at opposite ends of the cage so to avoid any issues with having to share resources

Welcome to the forum
It’s a lovely cage but I can see a few potential issues given you are dealing with boars just entering their teens

When you change the cage size to a 5x2, doing so will be a change of territory and will set off a new round of dominance and cause them to reestablish their relationship. Consequently, it is recommended that they are in the correct size from the beginning so to avoid disrupting their bond while they are teenagers. Just because they are physically small now does not mean they can get away with less space (in fact it is the time when they need most space). If you change them to a 5x2 now then it will be of benefit.
You will need to ensure you use soiled bedding when you expand the cage so they still smell it as their own territory and help minimise issues.

It is also recommended that there are no single exit hides while you are dealing with teenage boars. This means that both the fleece tent and pink house have the potential to be flash points for trouble and should ideally be removed and replaced for tunnels.

Please do also ensure there are two water bottles and two hay piles at opposite ends of the cage so to avoid any issues with having to share resources
Thank you! I can already see they are quite territorial. Say for example one is in the fleece tent and the other one wants to get in they will rumble at each other and wiggle bums in each others face but they never hurt each other they are still probably still trying to establish who is the boss since they are still quite young so I’ll definitely take out the one exit hides thank you! Also sometimes they do share hides with each other without there being any problems but it’s just sometimes when that happens !

Thank you! I can already see they are quite territorial. Say for example one is in the fleece tent and the other one wants to get in they will rumble at each other and wiggle bums in each others face but they never hurt each other they are still probably still trying to establish who is the boss since they are still quite young so I’ll definitely take out the one exit hides thank you! Also sometimes they do share hides with each other without there being any problems but it’s just sometimes when that happens !

It’s exactly that behaviour which can sometimes become a problem. The dominant will have the pick of the best hides and if they are both in a hide with only one way out then one piggy can become trapped by the other and that is when fights can occur

Back