• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi, so I have rats gaining entry to my shed which I house my guinea pigs in. I’ve tried rat traps which have been of no help. And I keep catching the rat inside my guinea pig hutches(hutches have half doors) and keep sharing the food with the guinea pigs. But this rat is massive and could easily kill them. And has actually killed one of my baby guinea pig 😭
What poison can I use that won’t harm my guinea pigs, cats or dogs?
Thanks I’m advance.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can’t help with how to catch them/poison (I’ve not had experience of this sort of thing), but as an urgent step I would bring your piggies indoors to protect them While you get the problem sorted.

They are attracted to food, so if you’re leaving a lot of food in the cage at all times then that won’t help. The only food piggies should have constantly is hay so their daily one tablespoon of pellets should be gone within a very short period of time - mine get half an hour to eat their tablespoon of pellets and then any uneaten pellets are removed. Same with veggies.

The shed will also need to be looked at. Rats can get through very tiny holes, so youll also need to look for where they are getting in and repair any holes.

Reaction score
I can’t help with how to catch them/poison (I’ve not had experience of this sort of thing), but as an urgent step I would bring your piggies indoors to protect them While you get the problem sorted.

They are attracted to food, so if you’re leaving a lot of food in the cage at all times then that won’t help. The only food piggies should have constantly is hay so their daily one tablespoon of pellets should be gone within a very short period of time - mine get half an hour to eat their tablespoon of pellets and then any uneaten pellets are removed. Same with veggies.

The shed will also need to be looked at. Rats can get through very tiny holes, so youll also need to look for where they are getting in and repair any holes.
Sadly owning 50 plus pedigree swiss guinea pigs I can not bring them all in else I would. I’ve since checked the whole shed and blocked the one hole I found. But there’s one massive rat that’s fully living in the shed. Doesn’t leave just stays inside 24/7.

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You might have to get a pest control company in for this situation - there are other ways than poison. If big snap traps aren't working (even with peanut butter?) there are cage traps and electronic things that the company will be able to use - and they will also give advice. My tip would be to find out which company your local council uses because they'll have LOTS of experience! The one near me will do council work or private work - you pay for both round here but less via council: you have to wait longer but it's be the same service and they'll keep coming back until the problem is gone.

Speed is important here - you need to get this guy as soon as you can before he brings in his pals. They're sociable and bright and it's sad to kill stuff but better to kill one big bu**er now than be chasing a dozen and those poor piggies are going to be terrified.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I agree. You will have to get that tag out one way or another. You can’t have it living in the shed permanently. Also check the doors of the shed and perhaps think about how you can eat proof the hutch doors as well.

Reaction score
Because my guinea pigs live inside my shed in hutches. To keep them out the cold for winter and heat during summer.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing that you intentionally breed and show guinea pigs. If so, you will find that this forum will not be a particularly welcoming place for you as we are anti intentional breeding and anti showing and pro rescue. Please read the terms and rules you signed up to on joining.
Terms of Service And Forum Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.