• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Raw grease gland

Ashlee2642

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My daughter’s pig Norman had a lumpy grease gland. I rubbed some coconut oil on it and it came off in a big lump after a few minutes. Underneath is all red and bloody. I’m not sure how to treat it and a vet isn’t possible until I have the money to take him. I’m attaching a pic and hoping for advice..

Attachments

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am not one of the forums medical experts but i would say that an open wound like that needs to be seen by a vet.
I would suggest that you try and put a little money away each month into a vet fund so that you can get veterinary care when it is needed.

Vanessa131

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He really needs to be seen by a vet, not only is Norman most likely in pain, he is also at risk of infection.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Please take this piggy to see a vet. As the skin has been broken he is at risk of an infection. And he must be in discomfort. Many vets will offer payment plans. As the piggy’s owner you have a legal and moral duty to seek help for him.

Ashlee2642

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I completely understand my moral obligations. I’m not a monster. I came here asking for some advice at night, on a holiday.
In a perfect world, I would have endless cash flow to take critters to the vet every little bit.
In my world, I’m a mother of 3, who is on break from work and I don’t get paid when I’m on holiday breaks. It’s already a struggle to meet my families’ needs during the holidays. I won’t receive pay until Jan. 11.
My life and financial situation isn’t what is was when we acquired our pigs and I’m doing my best with what I have.
I generally have an emergency fund to work from but I just had Norm to the vet for an eye poke right around thanksgiving. It was $100 to take care of that. It’s difficult to keep a lot of cash put away around the holidays. I DO take them to the vet when It’s emergent.
I’m not asking for anyone to judge me for my financial situation, I was just hoping for some advice about what was going on with his grease gland since I’ve never seen this happen to any of our pigs. I know they’re fragile and I wanted to give him some immediate care and comfort LAST NIGHT since an emergency vet isn’t an option.
Thanks for the advice.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m sorry that you have taken exception to the advice given.
Forum policy makes it very clear that we will always recommend examination and treatment from a qualified vet. We are unable to recommend home treatment in place of a veterinary examination and treatment.
No one was judging you on your financial situation. None of us on here have unlimited financial resources and the suggestions of asking the vets for a payment plan or having a vet savings account are suggestions frequently made on the forum and generally well received by other members. I am sorry that you have taken offence to the suggestions made.
We are a UK based forum. Our staff team and the majority of members are UK based so there will always be a time delay between posts and responses. I am sorry that your post wanted advice last night but none of us were around at the time.

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I completely understand my moral obligations. I’m not a monster. I came here asking for some advice at night, on a holiday.
In a perfect world, I would have endless cash flow to take critters to the vet every little bit.
In my world, I’m a mother of 3, who is on break from work and I don’t get paid when I’m on holiday breaks. It’s already a struggle to meet my families’ needs during the holidays. I won’t receive pay until Jan. 11.
My life and financial situation isn’t what is was when we acquired our pigs and I’m doing my best with what I have.
I generally have an emergency fund to work from but I just had Norm to the vet for an eye poke right around thanksgiving. It was $100 to take care of that. It’s difficult to keep a lot of cash put away around the holidays. I DO take them to the vet when It’s emergent.
I’m not asking for anyone to judge me for my financial situation, I was just hoping for some advice about what was going on with his grease gland since I’ve never seen this happen to any of our pigs. I know they’re fragile and I wanted to give him some immediate care and comfort LAST NIGHT since an emergency vet isn’t an option.
Thanks for the advice.
I’ve never seen a grease gland look like that and I agree with the others that it looks rather sore. How is Norman doing today? I totally understand that the Christmas season can be an immense drain on funds and poor Norms thanksgiving eyepokes certainly came at a bad time with this following it.
Would it be possible to borrow the vet fee from a friend or family until you hit payday? Failing that would the vet agree to treat him now and be paid on that date? Might be worth seeing if the vet is willing to wait a little for the bill to be settled.
Ideally he needs to be seen as soon as possible to prevent complications from infections, now that the public holiday period is already over it should be possible to have a regular apppointment and skip those crazy emergency fees.

Happy new year to you and Norm, hoping everything works out. :hug:

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My daughter’s pig Norman had a lumpy grease gland. I rubbed some coconut oil on it and it came off in a big lump after a few minutes. Underneath is all red and bloody. I’m not sure how to treat it and a vet isn’t possible until I have the money to take him. I’m attaching a pic and hoping for advice..
Hi there,

Is there any updates on this? I am hoping your daughters piggy is doing much better now:)