• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Re-bonding Two Boars

Zelsi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I separated Monty (2.5yrs) and Simba (1yr) 3 weeks ago because Monty had severe health problems.

Good news is Monty feels a lot better! They have been living in their 2x4 cage with a divider down the middle (2x2 each, I wish they had more space) so they have been talking, sniffing, lying near each other quite happily. I have also been mixing up their bedding so they have each other's scents.

My question is - should I do a full restart and clean it all out, neutral territory etc OR can I mix up their bedding a lot and remove the divider so it smells like both of them and they re-introduce on mixed territory?

I separated Monty (2.5yrs) and Simba (1yr) 3 weeks ago because Monty had severe health problems.

Good news is Monty feels a lot better! They have been living in their 2x4 cage with a divider down the middle (2x2 each, I wish they had more space) so they have been talking, sniffing, lying near each other quite happily. I have also been mixing up their bedding so they have each other's scents.

My question is - should I do a full restart and clean it all out, neutral territory etc OR can I mix up their bedding a lot and remove the divider so it smells like both of them and they re-introduce on mixed territory?

Please re-introduce boars in neutral territory. You can wipe them with a soft rag beforehand to mingle the scents (much less stressful than a buddy bath, which is not necessary in your case anyway).
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Please re-introduce boars in neutral territory. You can wipe them with a soft rag beforehand to mingle the scents (much less stressful than a buddy bath, which is not necessary in your case anyway).
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Hi Again Wiebke :D

When you say soft rag do you mean a wet one to wipe their gland area?

With neutral territory I'm guessing their current cage disinfected might not be good enough - I do have some spare grids so I can try to build a make-shift cage on some fleece (a bit like an indoor run) in one of the rooms for them to bond in over 1-2 days until they go into their usual cage.

I won't be doing the introduction now because it's a bit late and I am not around at all next week to be there for them in case things get a bit aggressive.

Hi Again Wiebke :D

When you say soft rag do you mean a wet one to wipe their gland area?

With neutral territory I'm guessing their current cage disinfected might not be good enough - I do have some spare grids so I can try to build a make-shift cage on some fleece (a bit like an indoor run) in one of the rooms for them to bond in over 1-2 days until they go into their usual cage.

I won't be doing the introduction now because it's a bit late and I am not around at all next week to be there for them in case things get a bit aggressive.

No, a dry fabric rag to help mingle the body scent - it is optional.

Back