Re-introducing a guinea pig

Linz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone you have been so helpful before.
We got 2 female guinea pigs back in Feb and it turned out one was pregnant! The baby was a boy so had to be separated. He has now been neutered and we’ve waited the 6 weeks.

How do we go about reintroducing them so the 3 can live together?

They have been side by side in their cage and spent lots of time sat next to each other through the bars.

Do you just put them together or do an hour per day first for a few days?

I’m sure it’s been asked before I just couldn’t find the post thanks so much!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’ll attach the guides of how to do it.
No you don’t do it a bit at a time, it has to be all or nothing. You make a neutral space, somewhere no piggy has their normal territory, and out put in there with no hides but with hay. Leave them for a few hours, while they are in there clean down the cage they are going to live in so it is also neutral. If the bonding is successful then they can all move into the cage together after a few hours. Do not separate them again if all goes well.

If however the bonding fails, then they will need to be separated out again.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Linz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks so much! That’s really helpful. Sorry about the duplicate post I can’t work out how to delete it

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi, glad your little boy has been neutered and is ready to be reintroduced!

Glad @Piggies&buns has shared the link for you there :)

Basically bonding is an all-or-nothing thing, you re-introduce the piggies in a neutral area then give them a good few hours to become re-aquainted and work out if they are going to be friends, then if they are, they move straight into a newly cleaned out and reorganised cage together- introducing then separating is confusing and stressful for them. Find a day when you are free all day to supervise and get the cage cleaned ready, then put the piggies together in a neutral area like a playpen with plenty hay and veg but no hidey houses where anypig could get cornered, then watch and wait and hope for the best...
Best of luck!