• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Reading To Our Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekkerPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since getting my piggies I've gotten into the habit of reading to them, I did it in the beginning to get them used to my voice and now it's become a daily treat for us all. Do any of you read to your piggies? If so what do you read to them? Me and my girls are currently reading through the Harry Potter series. We've nearly finished The Prisoner of Azkaban and I'm sure they're enjoying it as much as I am :)

It's not something I do, but it does sound like a lovely thing to do to get your piggies used to you. Very good choice of books too, how can you get bored with harry potter? x

I'm reading the tales of Olga da polga to my daughter at bedtime & they 2 girls are in her room at the moment. Must admit the piggies seem quite relaxed while I'm reading

That's a great idea. I live on my own (with piggies) and I've been worried my new pigs will take a while to get used to my voice as I don't speak much with having no one else to speak to, but maybe I'll read to them :)

I have not read to them but I am always talking to them.... Other half laughs cos when I walk up to them & speak they come straight out.... Harry Potter - good choice..

I love this idea,I'm sure they would enjoy it.

Reading to them is great, it really helped strengthen our bond quickly, my OH always ends up laughing because I do the voices for all the characters :) It's a great way to bond and I get to read Harry Potter again so that's a big bonus!

We watch Netflix together :) The boys watched so much QI when I was first getting them used to me that they popcorn around every time they hear the theme tune! They really like Stephen Fry, too. I want to watch Orange is the New Black but am a little bit worried about the adult content in front of my boys :P
Maybe I'll read to them, that sounds lovely. I've been wanting to read the Northern Lights again.... That's such a sweet idea :luv: x

We watch Netflix together :) The boys watched so much QI when I was first getting them used to me that they popcorn around every time they hear the theme tune! They really like Stephen Fry, too. I want to watch Orange is the New Black but am a little bit worried about the adult content in front of my boys :P
Maybe I'll read to them, that sounds lovely. I've been wanting to read the Northern Lights again.... That's such a sweet idea :luv: x

Ooh I love the Northern Lights! Maybe I'll read that to my girls after we've finished Harry Potter. I haven't watched the TV with them yet but one of my hamsters like Star Trek lol. I couldn't show my girls anything with adult content, they're still babies :P I was playing my xbox yesterday with them lying on my chest and stomach, they were sleepy at first because it was getting late but then they started to wake up and try to stand on the controller. They were licking my hands and then started popcorning on me! They can get very excitable sometimes.

Aw reading to them is lovely! It's not something I've done with mine but I do talk to them a lot, when we have the window open I sometimes wonder if we can be heard outside & what people would think - they'd assume we have young children & not pigs. They're in the living room, so they do get a lot attention anyway, especially in the evenings when we watch TV.

Good choice of books, hope the piggies keep up with the plotline (I've recently re-read all the HP books) :)

This sounds like a perfect idea, I love reading and have never thought to read to my babies will have to start this, as soon as I get my lap mats, in case of accidents :P :))

Aw reading to them is lovely! It's not something I've done with mine but I do talk to them a lot, when we have the window open I sometimes wonder if we can be heard outside & what people would think - they'd assume we have young children & not pigs. They're in the living room, so they do get a lot attention anyway, especially in the evenings when we watch TV.

Good choice of books, hope the piggies keep up with the plotline (I've recently re-read all the HP books) :)

My piggies have their own room upstairs so I like to go and spend time with them a few times a day, they really look forward to our reading time :) Good to meet another HP fan too :D

Reactions: Sar
This sounds like a perfect idea, I love reading and have never thought to read to my babies will have to start this, as soon as I get my lap mats, in case of accidents :P :))

It's wonderful reading to piggies, I've got to the point with mine where they 'complain' if I stop reading. A lap mat would be a good idea! Mine hop in and out of their cage as I read to them and we have had the odd accident lol

Thats a lovely idea. I have never read to mine. I have sung to them but to be honest when I do Edward just gives me a certain look so I stop :D

Thats a lovely idea. I have never read to mine. I have sung to them but to be honest when I do Edward just gives me a certain look so I stop :D

Haha, I do the same sometimes with my girls. I sing all sorts of songs and they just look at me like I'm insane. They seem to like my reading voice better :))

My piggies have their own room upstairs so I like to go and spend time with them a few times a day, they really look forward to our reading time :) Good to meet another HP fan too :D

I love HP! At some point need to watch the films again though :)

Haha that's fab. We once sang 'Twinkle Twinkle' to Biscuit when she refused to have her medicine, figuring there were two choices - she'll take the meds to shut us up or she'd go to sleep!

How cute! I've never read to them, but my kids have read them things that they 'might like' (mainly pertaining to guinea pigs) and my youngest will 'show' them things by holding up pictures in books, phone and tablet screens, etc.

Not sure about reading, but Hadley LOVES glowing screens- she is always nose-to-nose with the screen when my youngest 'shows' her things on the tablet and she also situates herself on our laps where she can see the TV when it's on. If you turn her around, she will turn back around to face the television.

I love HP! At some point need to watch the films again though :)

Haha that's fab. We once sang 'Twinkle Twinkle' to Biscuit when she refused to have her medicine, figuring there were two choices - she'll take the meds to shut us up or she'd go to sleep!

I need to watch the films again too, I'll watch with the piggies and see if they like the films as much as the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back