Really good food

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thehappypig

Hi,
Is there a really good guinea pig mix out there that doesn't contain artificial colourings, additives and preservatives, or at least have very few but still contains everything a Guinea needs?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A lot of the complete foods like Supa Exel or Pets at Home nuggets are very good.

I use Pets at Home museli which is a good mix as are Tescos one in the purple bag or Wagg Guinea Pig crunch.

You can also get Guinea Pig mix from a company called Allen and Paige which is meant to be very good but it is only available by the sack.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I really recommend Supa Guinea Excel however the PAH Nuggets seem to be pretty much the same and far cheaper so my girls eat that :)

Reaction score
Tesco (purple bag) and PAH nuggets go down really well here and don't contain artificial stuff (I think! ;D)

T

thehappypig

Was thinking of changing from Gerty to science selective until their 6 months then move to Cavy Cuisine...any thoughts? I'm really conscious of a lot of animal feeds containing rubbish (my dogs are on the raw meat diet)

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I really don't recommend Gerty. I have heard though that Science Selective and Cavy Cuisine are meant to be good though so perhaps give them a try. You can check out the Members Reviews on Guinea Pig Food to decide which you like to try from everybodys thoughts and experiences.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tesco purple bag is the best. Then Wagg red bag.

Don't use gerty - it's awful.

T

thehappypig

I noticed someone saying the Science Selective was high in calcium because it contained alfalfa.
If I fed them that between now and when they're 6 months old would that be ok?
Then change to Wagg or Cavy Cuisine...trying to source my local supplier...think it's going to be an hour away...the things I do for those pigs :o
With the Cavy Cuisine is it a complete pellet to be supplemented with veggies and hay?

B

Broley

thehappypig said:
Was thinking of changing from Gerty to science selective until their 6 months then move to Cavy Cuisine...any thoughts? I'm really conscious of a lot of animal feeds containing rubbish (my dogs are on the raw meat diet)

Same here - both my dogs are fed raw. I dropped a frozen fish finger on the floor the other day and picked it up before the dogs could get it as it contained some dross ingredients ;D I ate the rest for lunch though :o I do normally have a very healthy diet ;)

I too am bothered by buying a commercial pet food for the piggies - but am less knowlegdeable about pellets than raw feeding. I currently feed PAH nuggets. Rooney's diet is predominantly Hay, veg, fruit, grass and least of all pellets - eats very few.

I will have a look at the Members Reviews - thank you.

Reaction score
mine all love Wagg I get through 2 hugh sacks every 2 weeks with my lot, they've had it for years and i get it put by from a local petfood supplier so I know I can always get it

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Both Science Selective and Cavy Cuisine are pelleted foods so yes they do need hay, veg etc too.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a different food until they are 6 months old. If they get a good range of veggies on top of their feed they will be fine for calcium etc. I would get them on to your prefered food now and stick with it - just remember to change them over gradually to avoid tummy upsets. If you want your youngers to have alfalfa you could feed them alfalfa hay as an extra.

T

thehappypig

Hi,
Gone for Wagg...they've eaten the small portion I gave them, so fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.