• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Really pleased with PAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
For a change I am really pleased with the way they are looking after the animals especially the guinea pigs.

2 per cage, they have plenty of hay, dry food and also fresh food and water. Clean environments with hay tunnels and chubes.

Makes a really pleasant change to see them in good conditions! I was sooooooooo tempted! ;)

Yeah i went in yesterday to have a nosy round and i picked up one of the Guinea Pig Care Leaflets.

Inside it says " We recommened that adult Guinea Pigs are not kept with adult Rabbits, as fights can occasionally break out"

I know its not much but it's a step in the right direction ;D

yeah I noticed that too. Everything's been updated and the way they are kept has really improved recently.

Good to hear you have a good branch near you. Shame they are not all like that. Mine keep Rabbits with guineas all in same pen. they are supposed to be seperated by sex too but of course they print on receipts they cannot garuntee sexing and I know a few people who have got pregnant sows from them.

Not so long back it wasn't that great. Like yours, the guineas were mixed in with the rabbits and mixed sexes together! They didn't have much hay or food for that matter, and their leaflets were way out of date and wrong!

But when we did pop in today, I was so happy to see things had changed like I said and also that their leaflets were updated!

we've got a PAH opening here on the Island soon and I am thinking seriously of getting a part time job there, maybe as a snoop to keep an eye on the animals welfare lol
can you tell me a bit about them as I have never been in one, what are their main downfalls etc

Hiya

They keep (well used to) Guinea pigs and Rabbits together in the same pen.
They have been known to wrongly sex piggies.
Usually the Guineas and rabbits dont have fresh veggies or hay.
My piggie Beni has bite wounds and ripped ears and is scarred for life after what happend to him in PAH. I'm not sure if you can see on my avatar pic but Beni's nose is completely black on one side, thats were he got kicked by a rabbit or another guinea.

I did pick up a leaflet when i was in the other day and they do seem to be getting a bit better.

Love
Claire
x

at last yippee their getting there at last glad to it sorry bit happy here.
hope they keep up the good work

might look into it then, although hubby thinks i wont be able to sell any pigs as I always say they wont look after them well enough ( or by my standards) lol

michellemuffin said:
might look into it then, although hubby thinks i wont be able to sell any pigs as I always say they wont look after them well enough ( or by my standards) lol

lol Yeah I know what you mean. I would be taking them all home and become too attached to them all lol.

Same here. I just go in to have a look, but am so tempted to buy them all and look after them properly!

>:( Mine still have the pigs n buns together and they STILL have the hamsters etc in glass tanks i still dont like the place, we where thinking of getting some gerbils but have decided we wont get them from there or any shop but adopt 3/4 from our local rescue! dont get me started on my PAH!

The hamsters/gerbils are in see-through tanks and there are only a couple per tank. They all have plenty of fresh and dry food too. It's a real improvement here.

we got a pregnant sow from them. but we didnt mind cos we got 4 gorgeous piggies for the price of 2 hehe

when ours bucks up its ideas then i will be happy but its still awful! the one thing that really gets to me is that, the bunnies still live with piggies

Went and had a look in my local Rugby PAH today, they havent changed anything... they still have a big octagonal cage with rabbits and guineas in... some really cute baby piggies so I had to be dragged away, but I think they are now separating the big rabbits and putting them in a cage next to the unit, but still if a fight broke out it wouldnt be very fair between a rabbit and a piggy... I use them for general supplies when desperate but usally can find things better and cheaper online.

lukey said:
Went and had a look in my local Rugby PAH today, they havent changed anything... they still have a big octagonal cage with rabbits and guineas in... some really cute baby piggies so I had to be dragged away, but I think they are now separating the big rabbits and putting them in a cage next to the unit, but still if a fight broke out it wouldnt be very fair between a rabbit and a piggy... I use them for general supplies when desperate but usally can find things better and cheaper online.

The same octagonal thing with the bunnies in, in Warwick, with a couple of piggies in a large cage by the side. It's not often I go there, cos I am usually outraged with the way they animals are kept and cause a stink!

I went for a job interview at PAH a few years ago and told the interviewer that rabbits and guinea pigs should never be kept together :D...I didn't get the job ::) I don't go into PAH at all and I would never pay a petshops extortionate prices for animals. These petstores have their own suppliers of animals which means there are people out there farming them and prolly don't care about the welfare of their animals as they are only in it for the money. How many people actually wonder where the petstores get their animals from?

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back