• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Reasons behind your guinea pig names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just seen this elsewhere and thought it was pretty interesting. Can't see that it's been done before on here, but forgive me if I'm wrong!
Basically, what are the reasons behind your guinea pig names?

I'll start. I first got my guinea with a rabbit, and didn't really know much about them and this guinea just sat there all timid and big eyed, she looked just like a little old lady, and my mum kept referring to her as a 'little old doris', so the name kind of stuck.. so she was named Doris.

Then Doris had a baby about a month later (surprise..) and he was named Dillon. No real reasoning behind the name except he looked like a Dillon and we wanted it to begin with D to match Doris.

Dillon then got a friend, and his friend was brown, cream and white, and my mum said he looked like different types of chocolate, so we kind of named him Terry after Terry's chocolate.

Then came big old Frazzle. And well.. he looked like he'd been electricuted hence the name Frazzle! (Been frazzled!)

Annie was named by my mum - don't think there was much reasoning behind it, but it suited her :)

There we go, your turn!

cool thread.:))

although my answers are very much like yours!

Cleopatra: the 1st name that popped into my head when i held her - i just thought she looked like a Cleopatra (not that i know any to compare!:p )

Annabel: same; thought she looked like one, but now think she looks more like a "poppy". oh well - as Hubby says "call one of the next ones Poppy"...hehehe - oh alright then! :(|)

Branston was named to go with my first piggy Mr Pickles.
Junior because he follows Branston everywhere and copies him all the time.
Rodney & Delboy were rescue piggys so already had their names :)

Sooty and Sweep are a sibling pair. They're black, so the names made sense to me. Sooty is pretty much all black, whilst Sweep has some brown bits, hence the names they got.

Rose and Sweet William were rescues and came with names, although he was usually Wills and she is often Rosie.

Bumble has yellow and black stripes like a bee, hence her name.

Mine were a family of four, mum, dad, son and daughter (and yes, both boys neutered ASAP).

I already had a cat called Daisy, so went with the flower/herb theme.
Dad - Basil
Son - Parsley
Mum - Marigold
Daughter - Lavender

Tam is each initial of my boys. Thomas, Alex & Max
Gaga because she looks like lady gaga
Boofle because it just came out of my mouth when I bought her home and it stuck
And the new babies Bumble cos hes black with aubern stripes. The other Bubba was Betsy but I changed her Name to Bee. So I have a Bumble & Bee

J.J is named after a character in a film called "Cannonball Run"

Rose and Martha are named after past female characters in Dr Who

Ruby just looked like a ruby when she was a baby :p

Olga and Lucy were named already when i rescued them so decided to stick with them

:(|)

well we got cocoa in march last year and he was a lovely chocolate colour with an orange strip hence cocoa as cocoa bean,also known as cocoa pops!then other half got me two other piggys in august and wanted names to go with cocoa came up with the idea of naming after fashion designers hugo is the grey and white one and named after hugo boss,even though he isn't a boss but looks very much like a hugo!ralph is black and white bit like a skunk he had a few names jasper,pepe,but finally settled on ralph as in ralph lauren,mainly gets called ralphy and that name picked him wasn't happy with others for him!

Fudge - Liked the name
Dil - Sister liked the name
Coco- he was brown
Sage - sister was having a herb trend
Basil - herb trend
Fennel - liked the name
Cinnamon - liked the name
Jasper- sister though of it
Jake - liked it
Hector - after a car racer lol
Spot - he was a dalmation
Barney - sister named him
Lentil - he is orange like a lentil
Bounty - white and brown like a bounty bar lol

Where do i start with 20 piggies. Well some were just named with names i like that applies to molly oscar, dylan, rosy, feebee. Peanut because he is peanut colour , amber at the front because she is always at the front of the cage on duty , oliver got his name because as a baby he always sat in the food bowl after more ,titch because he is ! Peaches because of her colour and romeo who loves sows. Some of my piggies already came with names from rescues and i kept them , such as greg , cindy ,sally ,madge , harry and gerty were named after my nan and grand dad. X x x My henry is big and chunky like henry 8th and luna was called that when we rehomed her.

Amber got her name because OH really liked the name and she has ginger patches :)

Coco I originally wanted to call her Onyx but she also has browny tinges in her hair so Coco seemed to suit her better.

Stitch that's the name he came with.

Bailey I gave him that name as his hair reminded me of the colour of Baileys x)

J was one of 3 who were J, D and Coke - named after hubby's favourite drink (Jack Daniels)
Smudge - the white smudge on his nose (avatar pic)
Spike - cos he's got spiky hair

Not very imaginative!

If we get other piggies I want to call them Rossi and Shui, after Valentino Rossi and Michael Shumacher (don't tell hubby that I want more piggies!).

Leonidas - It took me the whole day to think of his name, but I thought..."Hmmm, I'll name him after that hunky guy on '300'!"

Alba - My sister's friend is called 'Alba', so she name him after her.

Gin - My sister's friend had a pet called 'Tonic', so she wanted to call this piggy Gin. :)

RoboCop - My other half called him that. Need I say more? LOL

Mustang - Named him after Colonel Mustang out of 'Fullmetal Alchemist'.

Koyo - My sister took the name from an anime she watched. Thought the name was cute!

Yuugi - I've recently been obsessed with 'Yugioh' series 0, and the Abridged Series so named him after Yuugi himself!

Arnie - The other half naming him after Arnold Schwarzenegger, since his fave movie is 'Predator'.

Last edited:
Erm ok on our first piggies Bumble & Bea... Well we planned on getting just one from the rescue and came home with two. On journey home I said we could call one Bumble and then added as a joke and the other one Bee!

Anyway we both decided we liked the names and because one is older, obviously the boss and a bit like a stubborn old lady we decided it would be Bea spelt the human name way.

Bumble is kind of an affectionate name me and OH refer to each other with but it wasn't until we had named them that I realised OH started it as an affectionate name after I mentioned that my older brother went through a stage of calling me bumblina when we were younger :))

Ever wished you'd never asked?

Ive had a number of pigs over the years
Bubble and squeak: they got theyre names as they were a duo and as we were kids its all we could come up with
Pippins: she got that name cause my OH bought her and cause we call him 'Pepe' for short the piggie got named after him, much to his disoproval :p
Brillo: cause his fur was like a brillo pad
Scruff: As he had scruffy hair and had an eye missing so looked very scruffy.
And our current pig
Rocky: I named him as I though thats what the piggy from Dr Dolittle was called as he has similar markings but it turned out to be 'Rodney' but Rocky stuck.
we also had a rabbit for a short time ended up callin him zsa zsa like the girl from eastenders as I just thought it was so unique even if it is a bit girly

This is such an interesting thread :)

Valentino Rossi - after a MotoGP racer as he's got some serious speed on him when he runs
Casey Stoner - as above

Poppy - her ginger markings reminded me of a poppy flower
Phoebe - after the character on Friends because she has weird and wonderful markings

Florence - she just had that kind of vibe to her, after Florence And The Machine, not Nightingale

Not a guinea pig buuuut...

Gaara - my new snake because he reminds me of a character in a manga I like who has red hair (snake has red markings) and is generally awesome :)

I love this idea!

Patch - He looks like loads of different colours all sewn together like a patchwork quilt.
Alphonse - He was Patch's "Little Brother", in an anime series called Full Metal Alchemist, there was a little brother called Alphonse whose soul was encased in a suit of armour.
Hope - The feeling I felt when I looked in his eyes, and a silver haired child from Final Fantasy XIII
Gizmo - He looked a bit like a gremlin, in all the best ways!

Great thread!

Basil & Dillon - already named when i adopted them.

Lady Guinevere [aka gwinny me big fat guinea] - named by my daughter.

Sir Alfie Gnome [gwinny's partner]- i thought he looked like a gnome as he always looks frozen to the spot like a statue + he has a little brown waistcoat, a white gap and then his little brown trousers [ok i am mad] and Alfie just seemed to suit him.

Coco & Star - were already named.

Tallulah & Gloria - Tallulah was already named but my daughter renamed Gloria [previously Ariel]

Rosie - daughter chose name [ i wanted Scarlet but let DD have final say]

Lord Barnaby Sebastian Pigwig - when we got him he looked very tatty like an old bear so DD called him Barnaby Bear - after lots of baths and Ivermectin he grew lots of hair, the front sort of falls into curtains and he reminds me of Sebastian from Little Britain & the Pigwig bit as no matter how often he's bathed /blow dried/brushed - his hair just does its own messy thing at the back.

Rainbow- origionally named Stripey by my brother but I thought that name sounded silly so re-named her Rainbow and the name stuck. :)) (To be honest Rainbow probably sounded more childish that Stripy rolleyes ) She was called it because of the different colours in her fur. :)

Fudge- My Dad suggested this name and I liked it because Fudge the beautiful piggy was a mixture of 2 chocolate colours like a Cadbury's fudge! :))

Petal- My Mum suggested this because of the little white petal shape on her nose and I really loved the name. x)

Lily- I wanted a flowery name to match Petal and it was between Daffodil and Lily and I chose Lily because I couldn't seem to get used to the name Daffodil. Also, I have always loved the name Lily! :)

Great idea for a thread. :(|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back