• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Reasons For Indoor Housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I keep my pigs in a shed and I hate it. I would love to take my pigs inside. But my family refuse.
I have gone through all the basic reasons but I was just wondering if anyone could offer anymore reasons that I could show my family.
Thanks

I don't have any outside space but even if I did I would keep them indoors and for me the main reason is that in my opinion it is easier to pick up on the subtle signs of them not being well because I am used to seeing their normal behaviour. I know it's not always possible for people to keep them indoors though.

I don't have any outside space but even if I did I would keep them indoors and for me the main reason is that in my opinion it is easier to pick up on the subtle signs of them not being well because I am used to seeing their normal behaviour. I know it's not always possible for people to keep them indoors though.
Of course! That is an excellant reason. It would be very handy as well

I have my girls outside because we don't have much space indoors. However they have been inside during the winter months. It is much easier to tell when they're ill. That would be my reason for keeping them indoors too! As well as the fact, they became very tame. Being used to your voice all day :)

Mine are indoors because I'm in Canada, so it's too cold most of the year for them to be outside, unless the shed had a system of heating that was comparable to a house. Maybe you could suggest that it would be quicker and easier clean them up and do basic maintenance indoors, plus you would spot any appetite and behavior changes quicker. I also think that they become more 'part of the family' when they are in the house in an area where they get to interact with the family, but then again, because of the climate it's the only experience I've ever had. Ours are in the family room and definitely interact with us a lot because they are used to the hustle and bustle of the kids and I coming and going. They have gotten to know our routine and act accordingly. And they are definitely accustomed to voices, people going past constantly, etc. They are definitely not skittish because they are used to being in a busy area.

So many good reasons. Have to persuade them! Fingers crossed

I was lucky, my boys lived in the shed when I first got them last summer, but in the autumn I brought them in for cuddles, first in a pop up pen and then in the skymax cage - but once my OH realised winter was coming and they could no longer pop in and out like that I think he felt sorry for them, he said it would be ok if they stayed in for the winter - and now they are in here permanently - mwhahahahaha! (evil laugh!)

I think the trick may be to bring them in for cuddle time initially and hopefully your family will develop a bond with them and they will not like the thought of them going out again?

just keep dropping into the conversation that they are a species from a dry warm country and our climate is much tougher for them, and endear them to their cute ways. Good Luck!

1) more chances to take photos! :))
2) piggies get more attention
3) they will eat less hay, which is a bit cheaper bills for you!
4) outside can cause respiratory problems and fungus if the area is damp
5) piggies will be warmer and happier
6) you know they are safe inside, if outside they could get in trouble with a fox/cat

1) more chances to take photos! :))
2) piggies get more attention
3) they will eat less hay, which is a bit cheaper bills for you!
4) outside can cause respiratory problems and fungus if the area is damp
5) piggies will be warmer and happier
6) you know they are safe inside, if outside they could get in trouble with a fox/cat
Thanks for all the reasons. Number 3 why would they eat less hay? Or is that a stupid question.

However to be perfectly honest, I haven't really seen a difference in quantity of hay eaten from indoors and outdoors! :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back