Recent Pig losses

TotallyBoarsome

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 29, 2024
Messages
23
Reaction score
121
Points
255
Location
UK
Hi, I just wanted to post really to get some support. I’m been feeling like a rubbish pig Mum lately as I have lost two boys this month.

I lost my boy Reggie at the start of the month after a long battle with bladder stones and breathing difficulties over the summer.

We then had to get our other boy Fudge an emergency friend from a pet shop as he was struggling on his own and not eating.

We got baby Gus two weeks ago. He was only six weeks old when we got him. He soon started showing signs of a nasty URI. We took him to the vets, started him on antibiotics and anti inflammatory and were feeding him regular syringe feeds every few hours day and night. We tried everything.

Yesterday he passed away too.

I just feel so beaten down and just want some good luck and some joy back in my life. I also want poor Fudge to have a happy time, he has lost three friends this year and it’s not fair on him.

I know logically that I have been doing all I can and doing the right things, but I can’t help but feel I must be blame.

Sorry for the rant.
 
Hi there first of all I'm sending a hug 🤗
Secondly I am so very for your losses and I pray your boys are happily popcorning over The Rainbow Bridge 🌈 together
Thirdly take a breath and get a nice drink ☕

It is understandable that you feel like this when we care so deeply we look for blame and the easiest person to blame is ourselves, I am certain you are a wonderful piggie Mum otherwise it wouldn't bother you so much. We never know how long we have with our adorable four legged munchkins and we certainly have no control over illnesses or genetic aspects.
You have from what you've said done all you could for your little newbie baby Gus and you took dear Reggie to the vets and did your best to fight the bladder stones. I know these words won't ease the pain of losing them but imagine if it was another forum member telling you the same story you wouldn't think they were a bad piggie Mum or judge them you would sympathise with them and support them, so please be kind to yourself your boys are still with you and they will guide you and Fudge through the coming weeks 💐
 
Hi, I just wanted to post really to get some support. I’m been feeling like a rubbish pig Mum lately as I have lost two boys this month.

I lost my boy Reggie at the start of the month after a long battle with bladder stones and breathing difficulties over the summer.

We then had to get our other boy Fudge an emergency friend from a pet shop as he was struggling on his own and not eating.

We got baby Gus two weeks ago. He was only six weeks old when we got him. He soon started showing signs of a nasty URI. We took him to the vets, started him on antibiotics and anti inflammatory and were feeding him regular syringe feeds every few hours day and night. We tried everything.

Yesterday he passed away too.

I just feel so beaten down and just want some good luck and some joy back in my life. I also want poor Fudge to have a happy time, he has lost three friends this year and it’s not fair on him.

I know logically that I have been doing all I can and doing the right things, but I can’t help but feel I must be blame.

Sorry for the rant.

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry for your losses in close succession. That is always hard to cope with and it also has a nasty habit of undermining anybody's self-confidence and mood, no matter how experienced you are. :(

No, it's just cosmic bad luck and nothing to you with you apart from our own human wiring to seek the fault always within us and feel inadequate whenever we don't come up winning. You know yourself that rationally you are a loving owner who has done her best in bad circumstances.

Unfortunately, it doesn't mean that we can just push those feelings away; all we can do is to try to put them into perspective and try not let them interfere too much with our real and legitimate pain of loss which will take longer to work through although it can help if you picture your boys together at the Rainbow Bridge so you can grieve for them as a unit.


Anyway, I have lost my Brangwyn 'White Raven' and his dad Barcud 'Red Kite' to different causes within less than three weeks in August during and just after the 5th heatwave.
My Lleian 'Smew' went to live with Barcud after Brangwyn's death after a failed bonding attempt with another of Barcud's sons whose wife put her paw down very strongly. But then Barcud took another turn for the worst and deteriorated very quickly, so I fully get where you are coming from with your feelings for Fudge. I had exactly the same with Lleian so I totally feel for you because of course you cannot avoid that serpent in your mind rearing its head yet again, however often you have battled it before. :(
Thankfully, Lleian has been accepted by Brangwyn's litter brother Baeddan 'Boar' and his half-sister wife Blodyn 'Flower' two weeks ago. I was fast running out of internal options with my remaining Tribe groups.

Please try to focus on finding Fudge new company. As soon as you see him happy again, the guilt trap will just disappear quietly. It's the only way you can work around our human species hang-up that I know works - you need to see the survivors happy again in whatever way you go decide to go on.

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed that you can find a good solution. Until then hang on in there. We continue to be here for you.
 
I am so sorry to hear you have lost your boars so close together. Sending you my best wishes at a very difficult and sad time. I can tell by the way you have written of them that you are not a bad piggie mum. You did all you could for them. I hope you can find a solution for Fudge soon.
 
Thanks for all the kind comments. They really mean a lot. In a few days I will focus on trying to get Fudge a new friend. I think I just need to get through the next few days first.
I’m so sorry for your losses. Sending you hugs. I hope you can find a friend for Fudge. ❤️
 
Back
Top