1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. With Warm Weather predicted in the UK - Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. WARNING - Hot weather can kill piggies. Please read our information on heat stroke and what to do to prevent it here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommended Care Guides/manuals?

Discussion in 'Daily Care, Travel and Climate' started by Scribbled28, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Scribbled28

Scribbled28 Junior Guinea Pig

Hi there,

Does anyone know of any care manuals/books for guinea pigs that people would recommend? I know this is a bible of good advice and I often read and re-read posts. However, it would be nice to have a care guide that you can take off the shelf and dip into without looking at a screen. I'm looking for something pretty comprehensive, particularly around diet and cage setups.

Is there books out there that people would recommend?

sport_billy likes this.
  2. sport_billy

sport_billy Administrator
    Staff Member

The problem with the written word is it is out of date almost by the time it is published and idea's and schools of theory change. Diet is especially an area that changes happen in regularly. I always use ourselves and Guinea Lynx as reference

3. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

:agr:

... The only information I refer to in print nowadays are articles in Guinea Pig Magazine

4. sport_billy

sport_billy Administrator
    Staff Member

Ah yes, GPM are very good too.

5. GPTV

GPTV Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

i know @cavy clicker was trying to get a book into print, not sure how it's coming along, she was trying to cover the essentials in that, had a few problems converting into print at one stage though.
    i have a few books but i think a lot of the information on here is more up to date, some of the info in mine i don't agree with/ it's outdated/or could be misleading for new owners.

a post on here or guinea lynx generally gives tailored advice on any topic, again you have to decide what you agree with or not, but its an excellent starting point-especially for health issues, members can give you an idea on things to discuss with the vet as they have usually had experience with a similar issue, recommending do's & dont's.
    ... & yes i have the Guinea pig Magazine too.
    x

6. Dorothy&Coco

Forum Donator 2016/17

Before we got our piggies my daughter borrowed several books from the library but as the others have said it was apparent how quickly information becomes out dated. I have to say this forum has been my 'go to' and has been invaluable.

sport_billy likes this.
  7. Swissgreys

Forum Buddy

Same as everyone else.
    I looked at a few books on guinea pig care, but even the more recent ones didn't always reflect the most up to date information.
    In the end I donated what i would have paid for a couple of books to the Forum, and just use that as my main source of information instead - always up to date and much better value (imho).

sport_billy likes this.
  8. Teddybear22

Teddybear22 Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

Can't agree more with everyone else.
    For me with this forum and the Guinea Pig Magazine is more than enough! :nod:

9. Scribbled28

Scribbled28 Junior Guinea Pig

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess my real question was where does everyone get their information from. It has to come from somewhere like some study or official recommendation (... right?) After studying a course where books and printed sources are gold and websites are seen as inaccurate I'm always looking to collaborate what I read online even if it's more than one website. Afterall, I could post on here that guinea pigs should be eating nothing but over ripe bananas and rhubarb leaves. On here that would get shot down immediately but if I posted that on guineapigslovebananasandrhubarb.com it wouldn't be more highly praised. ;) I was just curious where everyone got their information from.

GPTV and Swissgreys like this.
  10. Tiny

Forum Donator 2016/17

Before the internet (yes, I'm that old!), I had some books by Peter Gurney. He was like a piggy legend-cum-guru!

11. Swissgreys

Forum Buddy

I am a huge fan of books, but I am also the first to admit that in this day and age websites can be just as good, and sometimes more up to date and better than printed material.
    The secret lies in learning to objectively judge a good website, and even the best websites will still have errors and the odd troll.
    I looked at a couple of guinea pig sites (although I didn't stumble across guineapigslovebananasandrhubarb.com :))) and ended up sticking with this one because the members seem knowledgeable, kind, and genuinely committed to sharing their time and expertise to benefit guinea pigs.

I think the choice of printed, reliable literature out there is much more plentiful for more common pets like dogs and cats, but sadly with guinea pigs the choice is more limited, as it is less financially beneficial for publishers, researchers and authors, so in this case it may be better to chose a reliable Internet site over a publication.

GPTV likes this.
  12. PiggyOwner

PiggyOwner Rescue Buddy
    Forum Donator 2016/17

:agr: - it would be nice to reference to an "official" source .

#12 PiggyOwner, Jan 10, 2017 at 6:27 AM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    eileen likes this.
  13. cavy clicker

cavy clicker Junior Guinea Pig

I'm expecting it to be published later on this year depending on a few things :D

GPTV likes this.