• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recovering After A Cat Attack

Thinking of you and Tubs this morning, and hoping the Baytril does the trick for him.
He sounds like a pretty tough little piggy.

Here’s me sending healing vibes your way & I hope baytril starts to work. I know it tastes yucky :vom: for a piggy. We’ve just had a piggy on a dose of it & it was a 2 man job to syringe it into her.
I guess the cat was just being a cat.. but what an awful ordeal for Tubs & co.
I hope he starts to feel better soon,
Huge hugs x

He was quite poorly before he went on Baytril last time, @Katiedid, but after taking it he had terrible diarrhea, weakness (at one point he was so flat and unable to swallow we were considering PTS), he lost his appetite completely and I had to syringe feed him in one form or another for 2 months. He weighed around 750g at his lightest.

The whole saga is here:
Help?! Tubs Lethargic And Not Eating (been To Vet, Nothing Obviously Wrong)

Improving Little By Little

Bonding A Piggy Recovering From Illness

Getting A Pig To Eat For Itself After A Month Of Syringe Feeding

So sorry about the awful experience. Hope Tubs makes a full recovery with all your love and care.

Wow that’s bad. Has the vet given any gut support this time? I will keep everything crossed for him. My Zigg doesn’t do well on baytril so I know how worried you must be.

would it be any good to discuss Zithromax with your vet?
My Grace had bad abcess & the Zithromax dried it out well, Grace tolerated it well, both digestive wise (still ate like a horse) & she didn't mind taking the Zithromax either (not eager, but didn't buck like a bronco, like she does with Baytril)!
Could the zithromax stop an abscess forming before it starts? just a thought. healing vibes to Tubs :luv: xx

Wow, I’ve only just caught up with your thread. What a shock for you all. Hope your little guy co tinues to fight back to full health.

Managed to get a 12ml of CC down Tubs (made up twice as thick as instructions), he wasn't very happy about it but at least chewing and swallowing. I then cleaned all his wounds with salt water; there's a couple more than I thought and the one above his eye is very deep, he was very good for all of it apart from when salt water went in the deep wound... his cries :soz:. He was distracted by beeps though (green beans).

Back in the cage he's still subdued but according to pigcam actually moves about a little bit and he was able to jump in and out of the hay tray. He's not interested in dinner veg but who would be with a tummy full of CC and beep? Not hugely hungry but is grubbing about on the floor of the cage, see picture.

He's such a good boy. Will give him a little more CC before bed, then will do a mid-night check. I really hope he survives this one, he's been through a lot (this time last year he was halfway over rainbow bridge after a systemic infection).

y4T5VW5.png

Just keep persisting and try to get 40-60 ml into him (as well as as much water as he will take) over the course of 24 hours while he is clearly in pain and feeling very off any food. It is however a good sign that he is out and about.

The baytril can additionally dampen the appetite.

Fingers firmly crossed!

Hello.
Well I guess this be a massive shock to you and Tubs. Cats claws are razor sharp and the cuts will be tubs tryin to get away which is understandable poor little chap.
The healing process is underway and i can't add to what s been said. I send him massive hugs from my piggies. xx

Unfortunately the vet didn't give any gut support -- I'll be requesting some if needed. So far poos and wees are still fine, but I think this might reflect gut activity just before the attack so I'm still watching out. There are some tiny baby poos in the cage too, which may also be him -- he's still doing regular adult poos too.

I'm getting a minimum of 40ml CC into him, but usually around 55ml. He's so annoyed with me feeding him he's nipping me, which is the first time ever! Sorry little chap. He lost around 20g between yesterday morning and this morning, but that's the difference of a full bladder so I'm not hugely fussed. I've been giving him some Loxicom and it appears to be masking any pain, which is good.

He's still not a fan of moving, and his feet are getting quite red -- I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bumblefoot again, so may be doing Epsom salt baths tonight.

Finally, the thing I'm most worried about... Both of his eyes have been quite sunken in, especially the one with a bite right above it. I've been very vigilant about making sure he's hydrated (with Dioralyte), and the one which isn't injured looks normal-ish again but the other one is very sunken (no photo yet I'm afraid). Even worse, his eyes keep vibrating inwards -- the only way I can describe this is the opposite of a rat boggling, the eyes don't bulge outwards they withdraw inwards and I can see the mucous membranes. I've heard this can happen when a guinea pig is ill, but it's very distressing to watch.

I'm planning on getting another vet appointment maybe for this Wednesday, unless anyone thinks I should be going in earlier re: the eyes?

Sunken eyes are generally a sign of dehydration. I know you are saying you are keeping him hydrated but if there has been any blood loss, that could cause dehydration. I am worried about internal bleeding here. I think an earlier trip to the vet would be useful. Ask the vet if some sub cut fluids could be administered.

Just got back from the vet; everything's looking good, his eye is fine, there was a hay seed in between his lower lid and the eyeball, so his eye kept trying to "shrink" away from it, hence the sucking inward. I can't believe I didn't see it before, really hoping that solves the issue. Still giving him as much Dioralyte as he'll drink.

He's still being fed CC but is really hating it! I'm hoping this bodes well. We are slightly reducing the amount of CC so he doesn't get completely dependent on handfeeding like last timel. During handfeeding we were also offering hay, which he was having quite the little munch on so I feel like reducing the CC is the right thing to do. Still plan to feed 12-16g morning, dinnertime, and before bed for next couple days -- just dropping the middle of the day feed.

His poops still look good, we are overdosing with Avipro. Some odd gut noises, but only 2 days of Baytril left.

I misread his weight from yesterday -- he apparently gained 3g overnight, which is good news.

I hope he keeps on the up-and-up. Next is to hope he moves around more (no bumblefoot), and hope we don't get abscesses from the catbites.

Just caught up with this. Poor little chap and poor you! What an amazing carer you are. It sounds like every day is progress. Healing vibes being sent nevertheless xx

Back