• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Recovery from teeth problems

AmandaS

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I could use some advice on my guinea pig. Gus, a.k.a. The Masked Marshmallow, is about 9 months old, and about a week ago I started to notice he was eating less and started acting like he was in pain. I took him to the emergency vet, and they said his incisors needed to be trimmed. They trimmed them and sent him home with gabapentin and said he should be fine. A day or two after that he stopped eating and drinking entirely and became very lethargic. I took him to his regular vet yesterday, and they sedated him and discovered that two of his back molars had grown into points and were crowding, if not poking, his tongue. They also believed the extreme lethargy and unresponsive behavior was due to a bad reaction to the gabapentin, so they trimmed the molars, gave him some fluids, told me to stop the gabapentin, and sent him home yesterday evening with baytril and metacam. This was yesterday evening, and while he’s eaten since then he still seems very tired and I haven’t seen him drink water yet. Is this normal, or should I call his vet again?

Sorry to hear your boy is unwell. With regards drinking, they will (under normal circumstances) drink what they require as they usually get water the veg. He may also still be tired from the sedation and the fact he hasn’t been eating much of late.

Be aware that baytril can kill the appetite as well as the good and bad gut bacteria. So probiotic two hours before or after the baytril is a good idea.

I’ll tag @furryfriends (TEAS) who’s experienced with dental piggies. She can help you further.

You will also need to weigh him daily at the same time and adjust syringe feeding so he can maintain his weight. Unfortunately not many vets are experienced in treating piggies with dental issues. But hopefully the second one has worked and he will start to perk up.

Last thing, how much metacam were you instructed to give him, and how often? And is it dog or cat metacam?

Sorry to hear your boy is unwell. With regards drinking, they will (under normal circumstances) drink what they require as they usually get water the veg. He may also still be tired from the sedation and the fact he hasn’t been eating much of late.

Be aware that baytril can kill the appetite as well as the good and bad gut bacteria. So probiotic two hours before or after the baytril is a good idea.

I’ll tag @furryfriends (TEAS) who’s experienced with dental piggies. She can help you further.

You will also need to weigh him daily at the same time and adjust syringe feeding so he can maintain his weight. Unfortunately not many vets are experienced in treating piggies with dental issues. But hopefully the second one has worked and he will start to perk up.

Last thing, how much metacam were you instructed to give him, and how often? And is it dog or cat metacam?
That’s a relief to hear this may all be part of the recovery process. Do you have any recommendations for good probiotics for him? I’ve never needed any for my piggies before.
The metacam is for dogs, and he’s supposed to get 0.25 ml once a day for 3 days, and then 0.12 ml a day for 10 days.

That’s a relief to hear this may all be part of the recovery process. Do you have any recommendations for good probiotics for him? I’ve never needed any for my piggies before.
The metacam is for dogs, and he’s supposed to get 0.25 ml once a day for 3 days, and then 0.12 ml a day for 10 days.

Fibreplex of pro-c are commonly used probiotics.
Better still, if he has a healthy companion then soaking some of his companions fresh poops in water and syringing the water to him (poop soup) can help replace the good gut bacteria
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

How much does your piggy weigh? Dog metacam is stronger than cat metacam but pain meds leave a piggy’s body quickly so they need their pain medication every 12 hours for it to be effective.

Fibreplex of pro-c are commonly used probiotics.
Better still, if he has a healthy companion then soaking some of his companions fresh poops in water and syringing the water to him (poop soup) can help replace the good gut bacteria
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

How much does your piggy weigh? Dog metacam is stronger than cat metacam but pain meds leave a piggy’s body quickly so they need their pain medication every 12 hours for it to be effective.
Unfortunately, he’s lost a fair amount of weight. On August 19 he weighed 1044 grams, but this morning he weighs 910 grams. It also seems like he’s eating even less than ever, even though he’s had 2 different vets look in his mouth 3 different times and he’s had 2 dental procedures. Maybe now the baytril is kicking in and suppressing his appetite...

Unfortunately, he’s lost a fair amount of weight. On August 19 he weighed 1044 grams, but this morning he weighs 910 grams. It also seems like he’s eating even less than ever, even though he’s had 2 different vets look in his mouth 3 different times and he’s had 2 dental procedures. Maybe now the baytril is kicking in and suppressing his appetite...
It could well be the baytril, it does dampen appetite. Weigh him daily at the same time and try all his favourite foods. have you got a pro biotic you can give him before you feed to keep the gut Bactria fed? This can help when using antibiotics too.
Hope he starts eating soon, it’s awful when piggies have dental problems, I have a dental piggie x

It sounds like his teeth are still not right. Where about are you based? Are you in the UK?
Unfortunately not, I live in Northern California and have only one exotic pet vet in my city, and an emergency vet that does exotics in a town 30 minutes away

It could well be the baytril, it does dampen appetite. Weigh him daily at the same time and try all his favourite foods. have you got a pro biotic you can give him before you feed to keep the gut Bactria fed? This can help when using antibiotics too.
Hope he starts eating soon, it’s awful when piggies have dental problems, I have a dental piggie x
I don’t have a probiotic yet but intend to look into it. And thank you, this is so stressful for him and me!

Update: The vet told me to give Gus plain Greek yogurt as a probiotic and prescribed a certain amount for him to have twice a day in a tiny little syringe. He’s also on a couple of different meds now. But he’s eating more, pooping more, being busier...but he’s still losing weight. I’d taken him off the Critical Care to see how’d he’d eat on his own since he had more of an appetite, but after 3 days I’m giving it to him again. Without the syringe feedings the last couple of days he’s eaten hay and veggies, but still loses a little weight each day—6 grams one day, 10 the next. Is this a normal part of the recovery process, and he just needs a little more help temporarily?

As far as I know Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant. In any case they should not be fed dairy products!

Not eating enough hay contributes a great deal to weight loss. So I wouldn’t stop the syringe feeding until he ‘appears‘ to be eating more hay.

:agr:
Please do not give your piggy yogurt. You need to give a probiotic such as fibreplex or pro-c. Yogurt is not good for them.

You know it seemed strange at the time because I’d read that somewhere before, but the vet said “No no it’s fine,” so I was inclined to think she knew better than me. Having read what you’re telling me, though, I’ve already ordered a probiotic for guinea pigs available here in the US called Bene Bac and some Oxbow vitamin C supplements recommended in an article you linked earlier in this thread. My poor little Guster...It’s like he’s trying so hard to be his little happy self, but he just runs out of energy after a little of running after his sisters or snacking. My other problem is he HATES the syringe feeding. I’ve tried sitting him on my lap or on a table with my arm around him so he can’t jump off, letting him sit there or wrapping him in a small towel, but no matter what I do he fights like crazy. Any suggestions?

You know it seemed strange at the time because I’d read that somewhere before, but the vet said “No no it’s fine,” so I was inclined to think she knew better than me. Having read what you’re telling me, though, I’ve already ordered a probiotic for guinea pigs available here in the US called Bene Bac and some Oxbow vitamin C supplements recommended in an article you linked earlier in this thread. My poor little Guster...It’s like he’s trying so hard to be his little happy self, but he just runs out of energy after a little of running after his sisters or snacking. My other problem is he HATES the syringe feeding. I’ve tried sitting him on my lap or on a table with my arm around him so he can’t jump off, letting him sit there or wrapping him in a small towel, but no matter what I do he fights like crazy. Any suggestions?
Can you soak his normal pellets in very hot water, cool and mush them up instead of the oxbow recovery food? My Ted hated oxbow too, in fact not keen on any of them. Ordinary Porridge oats are good for dental piggies, easy to eat and plenty of calories too. I give Ted a handful a day, he’s a dental pig and has lost a lot of weight this year with ulceration and tooth spurs, but is putting on weight now
Hope your little Gus improves and stops Loosing weight soon x

Can you soak his normal pellets in very hot water, cool and mush them up instead of the oxbow recovery food? My Ted hated oxbow too, in fact not keen on any of them. Ordinary Porridge oats are good for dental piggies, easy to eat and plenty of calories too. I give Ted a handful a day, he’s a dental pig and has lost a lot of weight this year with ulceration and tooth spurs, but is putting on weight now
Hope your little Gus improves and stops Loosing weight soon x
It’s certainly worth a shot. I think the yogurt was affecting him, today he was eating even less and being more lethargic. So the yogurt’s in the trash, and I managed to get a bunch of critical care down him but it took about an hour. He hasn’t eaten the pellets since all this started, but he used to love them, so maybe that would work better.

It’s certainly worth a shot. I think the yogurt was affecting him, today he was eating even less and being more lethargic. So the yogurt’s in the trash, and I managed to get a bunch of critical care down him but it took about an hour. He hasn’t eaten the pellets since all this started, but he used to love them, so maybe that would work better.

As piggies can’t take dairy products, it’s possible it’s upset him. Syringe feed him little and often if it is easier.
I see you’ve said you don’t have any other vets nearby but maybe you could look further afield. I’d be concerned about a vet telling you to give dairy to a herbivore

Yes chuck the yogurt, your vet should have known better?

You could give him some probiotic mixed with water by syringe. Mix 1/2 teaspoon with 10ml of water and give him that throughout the day. If syringe feeding give 2 or 3ml after feeding. You can use Avipro Plus, Pro-C or Bio Lapis. Also you can try him with some pouched baby food for 4 months plus. There's Ella's Kitchen or Aldi & Lidl do their own which come in identical type pouches. Go for the vegan varieties which cover most. I use the carrot, strawberry or banana types. The good thing with these is that you can use a 1ml syringe without cutting the end off and the syringe fits in the spout of the pouch. Discard any that's left after 2 days x

Yet another update: He’s done with his meds, he’s on a good probiotic now, and he seems to have adjusted to the Critical Care and I’m able to get the full recommended amount in him by spreading it out over 3 sittings during the course of the day. But he’s STILL losing weight and is smaller than ever now at 906 grams as of this morning. I just don’t understand it. He comes running over when it’s time for veggies, but he’s not eating any pellets and barely any hay at all. I’m at a total loss now.

Back