• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recurring chest infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

Our guinea pig Lucy had a chest infection last summer. She had a shot of antibiotics had a few days oral antibiotics. The chest infection cleared up within a few days.

She got another infection 2 weeks ago and we took her to the vets straight away. This time, the vet put her on oral antibiotics. After a week, she still had a bit of a rattle but it was much better. We took her back and the vet gave us more antibiotics. Lucy has now finished the course and although she is 95% better she does still have a bit of a rattle.

She seems absolutely fine in herself and the rattle doesn't seem to bother her. Should we be worried? I don;t want to take her back to the vets as I don't think they really know what to do apart from the antibiotics treatment.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Hi

Our guinea pig Lucy had a chest infection last summer. She had a shot of antibiotics had a few days oral antibiotics. The chest infection cleared up within a few days.

She got another infection 2 weeks ago and we took her to the vets straight away. This time, the vet put her on oral antibiotics. After a week, she still had a bit of a rattle but it was much better. We took her back and the vet gave us more antibiotics. Lucy has now finished the course and although she is 95% better she does still have a bit of a rattle.

She seems absolutely fine in herself and the rattle doesn't seem to bother her. Should we be worried? I don;t want to take her back to the vets as I don't think they really know what to do apart from the antibiotics treatment.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks

I'm pleased the last set of antibiotics have got her "over the worst". HOWEVER........You need to be aware that the rattle means she might have a chronic condition and that therefore if she has any other problems (eg bladder/mites etc) and/or her immune system is "compromised" then this respiratory conditon could flare up and cause her more problems.

It may be that she may need diuretic (fursoemaide) longer term to keep her lungs clear as it sounds like it could either be
a) upper respiratory congestion/allergy or
b) lower respiratory chronic pneumonia

If you want to have a chat about possible ways forward for her (and with your vet) then please PM me for my phone number - there;s just too much "ifs and buts" to put in a post on the forum in relation to what you describe.....

HTH
x

Status
Not open for further replies.