Recycle & Re-use!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SusieJ

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I love to re-use household items and make things for my piggies.....partly because I'm creative and like a challenge but also because piggie things can be quite expensive!
My four live out in a shed, and I'm always worried they don't get enough interaction with us....so my latest project was making an indoor run where two at a time can come indoors and spend quality time with us. I found an old bookcase for £5, lined with an old shower curtain, newspaper and fleece. Then put in different tunnels and cardboard boxes that I have, plus my daughters old bathroom step stool......perfect play area! When they go back to their shed, I just lift up the bookshelf (after a clean!) and use it to store all their piggis things in the corner of the room! 3.jpg 1.jpg 7.jpg

SusieJ

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you all!
I also save my kids fleecey winter hats and re-use them as cuddle sacks! Plus cut up old fleece jackets & hoodies and use them as fleece pads etc. Hate to throw things away that could have another use :)

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Great idea! I know my ones would jump out though. :))

Your piggies are gorgeous!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah, a girl after my own heart ;) I actually pounce on my kid's outgrown fleecey things before they are really ready to part with them to make piggy things! Fleecey PJ tops make good fleece pads with a layer of towel or wadding inside :)
I admire your ingenuity with the bookcase. I once saw someone who had bought an old IKEA wardrobe and laid it on its back to make a piggy habitat - I love to see people using things in alternative ways.

SusieJ

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have 2 cats so I also have a wooden frame with chicken wire that goes over the top - it used to be part of an outside run, but again, I re-used it for my own purpose!

I was thinking of making a more permanent indoor habitat from a large wardrobe, but no room at present for indoor piggies, alond with a very negative OH!

4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.