• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red eye?

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
I got my 1.5 year old piggy out for a cuddle this evening and one of his eyes is very red, and looks like it's going into the black bit of his eye.
Do I need to take him to the vet? Or could it heal on it's own? This month I've been in and out of the vets more times than I can count, but if I need to then I definitely want to get him see to

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 152303
This is the best picture I could get of it
Hi!

Please see a vet promptly. It looks like an hay poke to the eye.

Eye injuries can deteriorate very quickly in a matter of hours but the sooner they get seen and put on the currect treatment (antibiotic gel or drops), the better and quicker they usual heal, too. Since eye treatment and medication is the same for all mammals but speed is of essence, an out-of-hours or general vet will do perfectly ok.

If you can, please ask your vet for a lubricant or tear gel/drops to additionally help with the healing process and comfort.

Robbie12345

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was unable to get a vet appointment until today, but I just checked his eye again and the redness has almost completely gone. Do I still need to take him to the vets? It looks like its clearing up on its own and he seems completely fine