• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Red eyes

S and G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just seen a YouTube video by a guy call Scotty. In it he says that red-eyed guinea pigs are more often rejected at their rescue. Is there really a negative bias against red eyed? Our red-eyed if anything gets more compliments!

Yes, I’m afraid that’s often the cage. Some people find them scary or associate them with the devil 😈 My beautiful Ginger girl has the most beautiful red eyes which change to amber when thr sun shines on them
5E016C47-31D9-4CB7-8D72-85B751D523B1.jpeg

Sadly I think it is true, but it is the same with all animals - for example black dogs are usually the least popular in rescue.
But I do think white animals with pink/red eyes are commonly more overlooked.

Yes, I’m afraid that’s often the cage. Some people find them scary or associate them with the devil 😈 My beautiful Ginger girl has the most beautiful red eyes which change to amber when thr sun shines on them
View attachment 181564

Lovely piggies
Sadly I think it is true, but it is the same with all animals - for example black dogs are usually the least popular in rescue.
But I do think white animals with pink/red eyes are commonly more overlooked.
Sad to hear, although not too surprising. We are quite appearance driven

When we got Lollie, there were 3 females earlier in the day. Someone bought tbe other two. The sales guy said they didnt want her bc she looks mean and like a monster. Ill admit shes got quite the attitude and will bit but we love our little ruby eyed monster.

When we got Lollie, there were 3 females earlier in the day. Someone bought tbe other two. The sales guy said they didnt want her bc she looks mean and like a monster. Ill admit shes got quite the attitude and will bit but we love our little ruby eyed monster.
Glad she found you

I absolutely love red eyed animals, but sadly lots of people seem to find them scary for some reason. Only 3 of my current piggies have red eyes but I would definitely have more if I got piggies based on appearance instead of rescuing whoever needs a home 😅

This is my Daisy with her red eyes
20210720_120744.jpg

I absolutely love red eyed animals, but sadly lots of people seem to
I absolutely love red eyed animals, but sadly lots of people seem to find them scary for some reason. Only 3 of my current piggies have red eyes but I would definitely have more if I got piggies based on appearance instead of rescuing whoever needs a home 😅

This is my Daisy with her red eyes
View attachment 181574
Very cute

Sadly, I think people have an aversion to red eyes, which is probably why my gorgeous boy Oscar was at the rescue for three years before being adopted by us. The lady who runs the place even had to ask us if we had an aversion to red eyes ☹️, but I just love him 😍
Oscar.jpg

I agree red/pink eyed piggies are much more difficult to find homes for. I have 3 red eyed piggies. Milo (red eyed lilac) had been stuck in Pets at Home from being a baby, he was 7 months old when we took him from their adoption/rehoming area (once he wasn't a 'cute' baby any longer they had moved him to the adoption area). He had spent at least 5 months in a small cage on his own.

IMG_20200902_180807.jpg

Speaking from experience in our rescue, we have definitely had adopters interested in singles or pairs until they have found out that they have ruby or pink eyes. Personally I wouldn't want to adopt a piggy out to any person with such prejudice, but it's such a shame for the piggies that their eye colour can affect their ultimate home and happiness. I have no issue whatsoever with eye colour. All I will say, from experience, however, is that hay poke looks far worse in a pink or ruby eye when it starts clouding than it does in a traditional black eye. It looks a hell of a lot more dramatic!

I’m the opposite. I absolutely adore red eyed animals, especially my piggies. My first ever pair of piggies both had red eyes and were the only ones left in the store. I wonder if it was due to their eyes.

My niece when she was younger told me Eevee looked evil because she had red eyes but then a few years older she told me she loved red eyed animals (she didn’t remember saying the prior statement - she was a toddler) and they’re her favourite now.

Anecdotally, it's definitely true... I know many people who are not fond of red-eyed animals. For whatever reason, it freaks them out. Recently I showed a picture of our hamster to someone who works in a pet store and she was happy we had a red-eyed hammy... she said that they are often left behind and last to be taken home because many people don't like the look of them.

Personally, I really like red-eyed animals... both pigs right now have dark eyes, but we've had two red-eyed pigs in the past and currently have a red-eyed Syrian hamster, Sumire.

Here's some of our past red-eyed pigs...

Frenzy, one of our first pair of pigs, with ruby eyes:
1628040973512.png

Here's Sundae:
1628041045398.png

And here's our current hamster, Sumi:
1628041195734.png

Back