• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red lump on pigs eye?

mads0130

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today we noticed a big red lump under our one of our female’s right eye... she’s had issues in the past concerning her eye but it’s always gone away with eye drops from the vet. We have an appointment scheduled today to figure it out but I wanted to post here for my own knowledge and for advice in the future. We love our piggies soo much and I just feel so bad for them when health problems arise! I’ll insert a picture here as well. Thanks! image.jpg

Hi!

That looks rather unusual. I hope that your vet can figure out what is going on. An infection spread from the tear duct?

All the best!

Hi!

That looks rather unusual. I hope that your vet can figure out what is going on. An infection spread from the tear duct?

All the best![/QUOTE
Update: they took her into surgery to drain whatever it is... they’re unsure about what it is exactly but it’s potentially puss. She may not make it through due to how little these animals are and how much stress it causes.. But when pigs get this, it’s not like a dog or cat where it’s more water like, Guinea pigs it’s like a cottage cheese type substance. I’ll keep you updated with how things go....

Update: they took her into surgery to drain whatever it is... they’re unsure about what it is exactly but it’s potentially puss. She may not make it through due to how little these animals are and how much stress it causes.. But when pigs get this, it’s not like a dog or cat where it’s more water like, Guinea pigs it’s like a cottage cheese type substance. I’ll keep you updated with how things go....

It sounds like a potential abscess or a cyst? How stinky is it? The smell of an abscess is generally unmistakable. How are your vets treating it?

@furryfriends (TEAS) has plenty of experience with facial abscesses in guinea pigs.

UPDATE: I just got word that everything is fine! It was just a really bad eye infection that needed drained. Thanks for all the help and support ❤️❤️

It sounds like a potential abscess or a cyst? How stinky is it? The smell of an abscess is generally unmistakable. How are your vets treating it?

@furryfriends (TEAS) has plenty of experience with facial abscesses in guinea pigs.
Thanks for the help and recommendation! That’s what the vet said it was. I just posted an update for everyone else :) I was very worried and have been constantly crying since I found out she was having surgery to drain it.

Thanks for the help and recommendation! That’s what the vet said it was. I just posted an update for everyone else :) I was very worried and have been constantly crying since I found out she was having surgery to drain it.

Take a deep breath; she is not likely to die, especially as the cyst/abscess is nicely on the surface!

But you'll have to keep the abscess open for as long as possible and flush it twice daily to allow every little speck of infection to drain out. Abscesses heal from the inside out and need time to push all infectious pus out.

It is not a pleasant job, as I found with my own jaw abscess piggy Hywel nearly 3 years ago. He was 6 years at the time but still made it through two abscess ops by the way and lived until just before his 7th birthday. ;)

Take a deep breath; she is not likely to die, especially as the cyst/abscess is nicely on the surface!

But you'll have to keep the abscess open for as long as possible and flush it twice daily to allow every little speck of infection to drain out. Abscesses heal from the inside out and need time to push all infectious pus out.

It is not a pleasant job, as I found with my own jaw abscess piggy Hywel nearly 3 years ago. He was 6 years at the time but still made it through two abscess ops by the way and lived until just before his 7th birthday. ;)
All is well. She’s home from the vet. Eating and drinking perfectly fine, she looks good considering what just happened. Thanks for all the help everyone! This forum is a wonderful place 💜 our phoebe is going on 4 years old, and the other, Penelope, just turned 1 this past November

Back