• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red sore looking patch

Pozzo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I've just had my little piggies for a few days and noticed one of them has hair missing on a patch there is a red raised scab type lump it looks like a strawberry, I can't get in to the vets until next week would be grateful for advice, it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much she doesn't seem to flinch when I go near to check it and she's happily pottering around and is eating plenty, there's no other patches on her or marks I've checked her, thank you so much.

It’s difficult to tell from the description. Are you able to post a photo? If it’s fungal (ringworm in particular) then you need to up the ante with regards hygiene.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

It’s difficult to tell from the description. Are you able to post a photo? If it’s fungal (ringworm in particular) then you need to up the ante with regards hygiene.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Thank you so much for getting back to me, I'm new to the forum and can't seem to upload a picture other than my profile so I put it on there
140796.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not really clear. I would just get your piggy booked in to see the vet next week.

It’s not really clear. I would just get your piggy booked in to see the vet next week.
Thank you I've got them booked in for Tuesday it's the earliest I could get, I thought best to get them both a health check as well with us just getting them, thank you for your time I appreciate your help 😊

That does look sore. I agree with getting a vet check. Where on the body is it?

That does look sore. I agree with getting a vet check. Where on the body is it?
Thank you for your reply, it's on her back, I was worried that it looks sore, could the other piggy have bitten her it's just appeared at once? 🙄, I'm worried in case it's a skin or mite problem I don't want it to get worse 😔

Have you seen her gnawing at it herself?
Always best to get the vet to see what the problem is and then to get the right treatment.

Have you seen her gnawing at it herself?
Always best to get the vet to see what the problem is and then to get the right treatment.
I've been watching them closely all day and she did seem to nibble at it once in the day but I wasn't sure if it was because it was irritating her, I can't wait to get to the vet to check out what it is I'm just hoping she is ok 💕

Thank you for your reply, it's on her back, I was worried that it looks sore, could the other piggy have bitten her it's just appeared at once? 🙄, I'm worried in case it's a skin or mite problem I don't want it to get worse 😔

Hi!

Please see a vet promptly for the correct vet grade treatment so you can get on top of it as quickly and as best as possible.
It can be either mange mites or ringworm; without a hands-on examination it is impossible for us to pick up on the more subtle cues that you can only see in a hands-on examination. The two require different treatment so please don't put anything on it now; that is like wiping the crime scene as far as your vet is concerned.
Be on the phone as soon as your vets open tomorrow morning. Most have a free emergency slot even if they are otherwise booked out.

The wound is self-inflicted. Bites in bonded sows are extremely rare and do not look like this in the first place. Both mites and ringworm can hit rather quickly and hard.

All the best! Please be aware that once they have started, these issues have to run their due course and you are in for some rather uncomfortable weeks. But the sooner you start with good quality vet grade treatment, the more you can keep it to just that and not turn it into a long running saga. :tu:

Thank you, I will be on the phone again tomorrow I've been trying all day and couldn't even secure an online one, everything seems scaled back and more difficult with covid 😢, I'll certainly keep trying and I'll ring more vets tomorrow, I am grateful for the advice and will get expert and quick treatment, I would never apply any or tamper with it I'd hate to make things worse, thank you for taking the time to help me, I am grateful for your advice

Thank you, I will be on the phone again tomorrow I've been trying all day and couldn't even secure an online one, everything seems scaled back and more difficult with covid 😢, I'll certainly keep trying and I'll ring more vets tomorrow, I am grateful for the advice and will get expert and quick treatment, I would never apply any or tamper with it I'd hate to make things worse, thank you for taking the time to help me, I am grateful for your advice

You can find more information on skin parasites and ringworm, your customer rights etc. in this link here, which you may find very helpful as it addresses the most common pitfalls that can come with newly bought piggies. After I started out my adult piggy life with a classic pet shop pregnancy, I have gone strictly rescue since and have never looked back. Sadly too few people still know that the safest place to get piggies without hidden problems from is a good welfare standard rescue (you can find our list as well as a list of recommended vets on the top bar):
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Thank you that's a huge help, I will take a look at the link, just want to do my best for my little ladies and give them a fulfilled and happy life, they bring us so much joy 💕so I really do appreciate your expertise and you taking the time to provide me with the advice and help 😊

I hope that you can get her seen by a vet. If she is gnawing at it, then it is distressing her. If you tell a vet that, they have a duty to see them sooner if it’s an animal in distresss and not just a routine appointment.
As Wiebke says it could be mage mites or ringworm, but they require totally different treatment so please don’t be tempted to try home treatment on spec while waiting for the vets.

Apologies I missed your message, thank you all for all the advice, after much persistence I managed to get in to see a vet in the next town on Sunday and I am relieved that they both were given a the all clear, they don't seem to have mites or ring worm, the vet said it may have been a patch of dry skin that causrf it and as it is healing and there are no other patches it should clear up, however if more patches appear I have to go back for further investigation as it could turn out to be endometriosis problem, so I will keep a close eye on things, whilst I was there they gave me a course of treatment just in case of any mites so that was complete at the weekend and all seems to be fine, attached is updated picture of her repaired skin and thank you all again for helping me, much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_154054.jpg
    IMG_20200916_154054.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 7
Back