• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red, Watery Eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwilliamn9

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! My Guinea pig is a little over 5 years old and she's always been in good health. A few days ago, we started noticing her left eye and the white fur around it started getting a little pink/red. Today I was looking carefully and it looks like her eye was watery as well. She is acting normal and still eats, drinks, and squeals when we bring her food. She has been resting a lot the past few months but she is getting old. I am concerned because what I have been reading online does not sound good to me. She is acting very normal, has anyone noticed anything like this before in their pigs? It is only 1 eye and sometimes it seems like the eye is half shut but it's usually all the way open.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! My Guinea pig is a little over 5 years old and she's always been in good health. A few days ago, we started noticing her left eye and the white fur around it started getting a little pink/red. Today I was looking carefully and it looks like her eye was watery as well. She is acting normal and still eats, drinks, and squeals when we bring her food. She has been resting a lot the past few months but she is getting old. I am concerned because what I have been reading online does not sound good to me. She is acting very normal, has anyone noticed anything like this before in their pigs? It is only 1 eye and sometimes it seems like the eye is half shut but it's usually all the way open.
Hi and welcome!

It sounds like an eye injury. Please have her seen by a vet asap; only he can judge exactly what has happened and treat accordingly. Most eye problems answer well and quickly to treatment, as long as you don't dawdle.

brillmini

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ouch please do take her to the vets one of my piggies had hay in her eye luckily the vet got it with tweezers but I couldn't believe the length of it!

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:DHello and :wel:

Yes, it sounds like she may have a bit of hay stuck in her eye. She will have been scratching at it to try to get it out. That's why it looks red and sore. You may be able to get the hay out yourself by flushing the eye with cold water. But your vet can put some gel in the eye to see if it is ulcerated at all, and give you eye drops to cure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.