GuineaGang96
Junior Guinea Pig
Yesterday evening, we sadly last one of our guinea pigs. It was particularly heartbreaking with her being last of the original two we bought in 2020.
This has left us with Rita who is 3 and a half years old, and we always planned to take a break from having guinea pigs after this. This has not been an easy decision at all as we adore them, but due to travelling often, and financial constraints, we just felt it was best we ended the cycle after our current group, however the unexpected loss of Peggy earlier this year, who was similar age to Rita has messed up the timings a bit.
We are having a really hard deciding whether to rehome Rita (which would be completely heartbreaking), or adopting her a new companion, of a similar age.
We’re nearly 100% set on getting a new companion asap, however our only reservations is the closest age we can find from a local shelter is a 5 year old boy who isn’t available for just over a week, and if we have two older guinea pigs, who would be able to look after them should they need urgent attention (syringe feeding etc.) if they fell ill while we were away.
My main question is whether it is cruel on Rita to give ourselves a few days to think about our decision before acting? She seems to be coping really well, full of life, eating, pop corning etc. but I know this will likely wear off the longer she is alone, so I am sitting with her frequently throughout the day and keeping a close eye on eating/drinking.
I just can’t stand the idea of her being alone in a shelter waiting for a home for months, and it would almost be easier to get two younger guinea pigs to be with Rita till she passes, and then rehome them as they would have each other, however I fear two bonded guineas would be unlikely to accept Rita.
I have also asked local breeders whether they would have capacity to give her a forever home with lots of other guinea pigs, as although this would be devastating for us, she is very social so I think she would be very happy.
Sorry for the long message, I have been going back and forth on this all day and am really struggling/feeling the pressure of acting fast for Rita’s benefit.
This has left us with Rita who is 3 and a half years old, and we always planned to take a break from having guinea pigs after this. This has not been an easy decision at all as we adore them, but due to travelling often, and financial constraints, we just felt it was best we ended the cycle after our current group, however the unexpected loss of Peggy earlier this year, who was similar age to Rita has messed up the timings a bit.
We are having a really hard deciding whether to rehome Rita (which would be completely heartbreaking), or adopting her a new companion, of a similar age.
We’re nearly 100% set on getting a new companion asap, however our only reservations is the closest age we can find from a local shelter is a 5 year old boy who isn’t available for just over a week, and if we have two older guinea pigs, who would be able to look after them should they need urgent attention (syringe feeding etc.) if they fell ill while we were away.
My main question is whether it is cruel on Rita to give ourselves a few days to think about our decision before acting? She seems to be coping really well, full of life, eating, pop corning etc. but I know this will likely wear off the longer she is alone, so I am sitting with her frequently throughout the day and keeping a close eye on eating/drinking.
I just can’t stand the idea of her being alone in a shelter waiting for a home for months, and it would almost be easier to get two younger guinea pigs to be with Rita till she passes, and then rehome them as they would have each other, however I fear two bonded guineas would be unlikely to accept Rita.
I have also asked local breeders whether they would have capacity to give her a forever home with lots of other guinea pigs, as although this would be devastating for us, she is very social so I think she would be very happy.
Sorry for the long message, I have been going back and forth on this all day and am really struggling/feeling the pressure of acting fast for Rita’s benefit.