• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Reintroduction of pig after illness

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Peach has been sick for the last 24 hours after surgery. I’ve kept her on her own in a separate cage near me so I can do feeds every two hours. She is now less groggy. But still needs lots of attention. Is it ok to keep her away from her sister pig for another 24 hours. Or should I put her back. When she goes back in the joint cage should I follow any specific routine? They weren’t the best of pals sometimes maybe cos of the ovarian cysts.

I would put her back with her sister. Make sure to rebond in a neutral space so somewhere neither has been before but if they have only been apart for 24 hours, I doubt it’ll be much of a problem

:agr: Be mindful that you can’t just put her back in the cage, even if it’s been only 24 hours. Neutral area hay/veg, no hides. Thoroughly clean out their cage, change bedding and layout.

Peach has been sick for the last 24 hours after surgery. I’ve kept her on her own in a separate cage near me so I can do feeds every two hours. She is now less groggy. But still needs lots of attention. Is it ok to keep her away from her sister pig for another 24 hours. Or should I put her back. When she goes back in the joint cage should I follow any specific routine? They weren’t the best of pals sometimes maybe cos of the ovarian cysts.

Hi!

Peach's health and recovery comes before any other consideration.

Make sure that you rub them mutually with soft rag to mingle the group scent and re-introduce on neutral ground when Peaches is ready nd stable enough for joining her sister as in any case, dominance is part of a reunion and a re-establishment of the group.

Please place brace for a plan C if if Peach's sister decides that she is actually happier on her own, as older sows can do. Be aware that this is not depending on the duration of the separation but on the personalities of the piggies and their bond.

You can find a chapter on companionship (with practical tips) during operation recovery in the post-op care guide: Tips For Post-operative Care
Our very detailed illustrated bonding guide: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
In case things go haywire: Bonds In Trouble

Thanks wiebke, I think I’ll keep her separate for one more night. I’ll keep their cages side by side and reintroduce tomorrow. Could b interesting to c what happens. They defo annoy each each other sometimes, peach can b cranky at the best of times. Good news she’s nibbling a bit on hay now and moving around a bit. Poor thing.

Back