Relatively new pigs

SimbaNStitch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all! I’ve had my boys for a good few weeks now and they’re settling in great, but Stitch has started to cough whenever he drinks some water from the bottle and sometimes rarely when he eats hay? They are both very lively as they are still only a few months old, and run wild when it’s play time, but could he just be being greedy? Thanks!🥴

Piggies&buns

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea pigs have very narrow airways and the slightest bit of dust (often from hay) can irritate and cause them to cough. Equally, due to the narrow airways if they eat too fast, you will hear a cough. However if you have any concerns of the coughing gets more frequent, then you should see a vet

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Hello and :wel: to a great helpful forum.
I have 3 piggies and ssometimes give a little cough when to be honest when they eating fast.. . . why fast cos I might get more food.
lol bless um. Be great to see a photo pls

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Piggies can cough if they stuff too much into their mouths at feeding or drinking time. One of mine is a regular guzzler and coughs with a mouth full of food. It’s worth just noting when you hear it. If you hear coughing at times when they aren’t eating or drinking then it may be worth getting a vet to check them over.

SimbaNStitch

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello and :wel: to a great helpful forum.
I have 3 piggies and ssometimes give a little cough when to be honest when they eating fast.. . . why fast cos I might get more food.
lol bless um. Be great to see a photo pls
They are very camera shy, this is the only photo I have of them both together, and even that’s not great😂50B9A983-805C-45C8-8010-BF6C92AD7B2D.jpeg

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
oh my that's great.
HELLLLLLLO PIGGIES.
Welcome to piggie world.
mine say hello too. 20191106_175243.jpg
I have 3. All girls. :tu:

Last edited: