• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Renal Piggy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My OAP Queen Bea is now at her lowest weight 630g but she's a long piggy so used to top over 1kg. She's still looking bright and lively, she is also still the first one down at veggie time.

However, weight loss aside, she feels like a bag of bones and also has a bald patch on her lower back, just a patch of hair loss. I was thinking it could be hormonal linked to the renal disease or just from not having enough energy in her body? Does anyone know anymore about this? I'm reluctant to take her to the vets as I know she's on her way out (as I was told last August!) and don't want to put any extra stress or anything on her unneccessarily

Oh Kelly :( Poor Bea. I honestly don't know but would be inclined to check it out in case it is fungal or mites starting. Tagging in @helen105281 @Pebble @Elwickcavies @Abi_nurse

Give beautiful Bea a cuddle from me, she was the piggy that started my Grey & White Aby infatuation and will always hold a special place with me. x

I think it is best to get the bald patch checked too, if she is run down from her renal issues she is susceptible to either mange mites or fungal.

Wow shes doing incredibly well if you were first told last August about her condition! I'm so sorry to hear shes not doing well though, its awful when a previously big piggy ends up being so small and skinny :(
Hugs to you both!

If shes still perky and lively in herself then I don't think the vet trip would bother her too much, just make sure shes nice and warm and comfy in the carrier and perhaps try got at a quiet time.

Had u thought about ovarian cysts?
Sometimes this can cause hair loss or thinning. Crusty nipples could also be an indicator-is there any sign of either?

My ellie has ovarian cysts but never showed signs of either. But if your girly is cleared of fungal or mites it could be an option to explore as a backup.

I had a renal piggy too years ago. She would drink for England &went on for well over a year after diagnosis. The vet said she would be fine for ages,but when she deteriorated it would be rapid :(
But she was like a bag of bones way before the end, although a happy piggy that would eat like a horse!
Healing vibes to her from the girls &I. Xx

Had you thought about ovarian cysts?
Sometimes this can cause hair loss or thinning. Crusty nipples could also be an indicator-is there any sign of either?

My ellie has ovarian cysts but never showed signs of either. But if your girly is cleared of fungal or mites it could be an option to explore as a backup.

I had a renal piggy too years ago. She would drink for England &went on for well over a year after diagnosis. The vet said she would be fine for ages,but when she deteriorated it would be rapid :(
But she was like a bag of bones way before the end, although a happy piggy that would eat like a horse!
Healing vibes to her from the girls &I. Xx

Yes the renal disease was an accidental diagnosis when she was taken in for ovarian cysts. The cyst burst while she was being examined by the vet so didn't need an op so could have well developed further cysts. I am off on Tuesday so will give the vets a call Monday and try and get her in at a quiet time for a quick health check. I don't think the bald patch is fungal but won't rule out mites (though the other 3 seem fine).

Just for @sport_billy here's a photo from last weekend of Bea enjoying a spot of Christmas port :)) (I had to reassure some of my insane friends that I didn't actually give her alcohol!).
10357139_10154941879155437_8799101086939518695_n.jpg

Is the bald patch on her back shaped like an inverted V? My vet once told me that this was just "wear and tear"! . But I have since read that it could be a sign of stress, such as pregnancy or showing. Two white females (sisters) that I used to have both developed a bald V on their backs. One did have babies, but neither were ever shown.
Hoping Bea feels better soon. Healing vibes being sent your way.

Is the bald patch on her back shaped like an inverted V? My vet once told me that this was just "wear and tear"! . But I have since read that it could be a sign of stress, such as pregnancy or showing. Two white females (sisters) that I used to have both developed a bald V on their backs. One did have babies, but neither were ever shown.
Hoping Bea feels better soon. Healing vibes being sent your way.

no it's more of an oval really, no pregnancies that I know of (though I got her from rescue when she was 2 years so not sure).

*sigh* I've spent some time with Bea today, given her some more CC as she seems very hungry (still the first one down for food but very lively and active). She eats like its going out of fashion but then stops when she needs to poop and becomes quite distressed. She's quite hunched up and when she poops becomes more so, she raises her bum up as high as she can, she fidgets and chatters her teeth. Once she's passed 2-3 pellets she'll eat and repeat. Luckily I have some in date loxicom left from Bumbles spay so have been able to give her a bit of pain relief to see her through but I now think that when I take her vets this week it will be to PTS . I know I could be selfish and keep her going til after Christmas but I don't like seeing my old lady in so much discomfort

*sigh* I've spent some time with Bea today, given her some more CC as she seems very hungry (still the first one down for food but very lively and active). She eats like its going out of fashion but then stops when she needs to poop and becomes quite distressed. She's quite hunched up and when she poops becomes more so, she raises her bum up as high as she can, she fidgets and chatters her teeth. Once she's passed 2-3 pellets she'll eat and repeat. Luckily I have some in date loxicom left from Bumbles spay so have been able to give her a bit of pain relief to see her through but I now think that when I take her vets this week it will be to PTS . I know I could be selfish and keep her going til after Christmas but I don't like seeing my old lady in so much discomfort

Oh no Kelly, i am sorry you are having to consider this. It does sound like she is having pain when passing pellets. It is a difficult thing to make a judgement call on when the right time to PTS is. Is she on pain meds daily now? Perhaps regular pain medication daily would give her enough quality of life to be happy and pain free a little longer, but only you can make this call in conjunction with your vet as you know her the best. I love that photo of her and thinking of you and her during this time x

I'm so sorry you've reached this stage with Bea. I think @sport_billy could be onto something with trying regular pain relief. We had Tango on regular tramadol which let him pass poop and wee without any pain and enjoy life still for about a month before it finally got too much and we had to say goodbye.

I would completely understand if youd rather see her at peace sooner though. It's a heartbreaking call to make but it's clear you have Her best interests at heart and will do the right thing.

Well we went to the vets today and saw the locum unfortunately (my fault as I usually specify the vet I want). He didn't seem at all interested that she is a renal pig, that she has a history of cysts or that she is an old lady now. He said there is nothing obviously wrong but that her bladder feels tense and full so he suspected a UTI. She has baytril and pain relief which I will continue with. He said to come back in 5 days but my cavy savvy vet is only available on Friday so I have an appointment on Friday when someone with a bit more knowledge can hopefully discuss long term relief and an end of life plan with me.

Oh I am so sorry Bea and you are going through this, I wish her to have a miraculous recovery.
Xx

The fact that she is still very lively and active is a good sign. It sounds liek youneed to get pain relief sorted and then hopefuly she will eat more for herself and at least maintain her current weight (and preferably put some on)
Sometimes a bowl of water and softened nuggets can encourage a pig in pain to eat/drink more

I'm glad you are going back to your cavy savvy vet.......I would also ask them to check for mange mites as it is not uncommon for it to develop in elderly piggies who are ;losing weight and ti is often signalled by a Vshape on the back/rump. It would be preferable to give ivermectin injections rather than spot-on if the vet thinks it is mites as this is more effective (spot-ons are normally preventative rather than curative)

It is distressing when our piggies continue to lose weight, especially when elderly and with an underlying painful condition. My vet now prescribes tramadol for pain relief....iwih or without metacam for any anti-inflammatory effect required. We have found it more effective in renal disease, jaw abcess ear infections and gut pain compared to metacam and it doesn't affect gut motility. (and Long term metacam usage is contraindicated in renal disease as it can exacerbate any problem with the kidneys)

I think, providing that you can get to the root cause of the bare patch on her back and more importantly provide adequate palliative pain relief, there is no reason why she shouldn;t welcome the New Year in with you all!,
Hugs
x

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I took Bea yesterday to my cavy savvy vet and this is the first time she has met Bea... immediately she fell in love with her :)
Unfortunately though by the time she went back in she was looking a bit swollen and balding around her gentials. The vet did a very thorough examination and one of her ovaries is enlarged again so thinking the cysts are back (we think she might be starting with incontinence like Bumble had earlier this year). Even worse she also found a very small lump under her chin which could be an abscess.
I had already said whatever the outcome surgery for a 6-7 year old guinea pig (at a rough guess by the rescue) who has an underlying health condition and presently weighs just 640g (she is a long pig so in her prime weighed around 1070g) is not an option I will consider as I don't think it will be good for her.
As a result of the above and her underlying condition we have decided to continue with daily pain relief for the time being and seeing how she goes. She has a killer appetite at the moment and is still looking bright and feisty so hopefully she'll be around for a bit longer but it certainly isn't looking good for the long term.

Awww Kelly, huge hugs and love to beautiful Bea. She is a very strong little piggy and is battling all her illness so hard. She has a very good Mum to look after her and I know you will be making each day a 'good' day. Give her a extra cuddle from me, I have always as you know adored her I can understand why your vet has immediately fell in love with her. x

Massive hugs to you and Bea - she sounds very like my Tango who refused to quit and stop having fun right until the end. Take every day as it comes and try not to number her days, she'll let you know when it's time x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back