• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Reoccurring breathing problem

Jessica_alice29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
Muffin has had an issue for a couple of months now where her breathing suddenly gets noisy for a short period of time. She's had two vet trips. The first one she was prescribed metacam for a suspected URI. I then returned as she hadn't improved and saw a different vet (who was really knowledgeable about guinea pigs) and I was given metacam and Sulfarim to use for a week.

Her breathing issue still hasn't improved. It's like a grunting/hooting noise, it sounds more like nasal congestion than a problem in the chest. It usually stops when I rustle the hay and she gets excited, she then coughs or sneezes and her breathing is no longer noisy. For some reason it seems to happen more in the night. I've read about obstruction and that they have narrow airways in other threads but I'm mostly concerned because it happens so often. I would guess in general it happens at least every other day, if not more, for around 30 minutes at a time.

The vet said to bring her back if I'm still not happy with her breathing to discuss a chest x-ray or (I think) anti mucus meds depending what they think after examining her again. Does this seem like a good route to go down next?
Thanks in advance :)

larsond

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What bedding is she on ? Could it be an allergy affecting the respiratory system ?

Jessica_alice29

New Born Pup
Reaction score
What bedding is she on ? Could it be an allergy affecting the respiratory system ?
They're on fleece bedding. I can't work out much that she could be allergic to other than the non bio used to wash the fleece or the hay. I make sure to buy a brand of hay that is least dusty as possible. They have a small litter tray with dust extracted wood shavings in the corner of the cage but I removed that for a couple of weeks and the breathing issue didn't subside

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all!
Muffin has had an issue for a couple of months now where her breathing suddenly gets noisy for a short period of time. She's had two vet trips. The first one she was prescribed metacam for a suspected URI. I then returned as she hadn't improved and saw a different vet (who was really knowledgeable about guinea pigs) and I was given metacam and Sulfarim to use for a week.

Her breathing issue still hasn't improved. It's like a grunting/hooting noise, it sounds more like nasal congestion than a problem in the chest. It usually stops when I rustle the hay and she gets excited, she then coughs or sneezes and her breathing is no longer noisy. For some reason it seems to happen more in the night. I've read about obstruction and that they have narrow airways in other threads but I'm mostly concerned because it happens so often. I would guess in general it happens at least every other day, if not more, for around 30 minutes at a time.

The vet said to bring her back if I'm still not happy with her breathing to discuss a chest x-ray or (I think) anti mucus meds depending what they think after examining her again. Does this seem like a good route to go down next?
Thanks in advance :)
Hi!

Would you consider trying another hay brand of dust extracted hay? The quality of the different brands can vary.
Some piggies can be very sensitive to hay dust, house dust or pollen as well as other potential irritants in your home. Yours sounds like she is prone to getting a little obstructed in the nasal or throat area, which easily clears with a sneeze or cough. Those are not classic symptoms of a URI but more of a mild sensitivity.
If the problem clears with a just the odd and not a constant sneeze or a cough very few minutes or at least several times an hour for hours on end, then to be honest x-rays or medication for a serious sinusitis/constantly blocked nose which seriously impacts on the breathing (which bsiolvon powder is indicated for) are a bit too heavy guns. The airways will come back clear as there is no fluid build up in the lungs; you definitely haven't mentioned any of the red flag symptoms.

See your vet if in any doubt but rest assured that you are dealing with a rather minor than a major problem, so please don't worry too much.
If two lots of antibiotics haven't changed anything but the mild problems are persisting, then is the time to look at environmental vectors.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs