• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Reputable breeders/rescues in or near Edinburgh?

Io341

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We just lost a pig, leaving one female who needs a new partner but we have no idea where to find a good breeder and there aren't any rescue options that we can find in our area.
Any information?

I’m not sure about any rescues near you but please please don’t go to breeders. They don’t care about the animals health or welfare they just want your money. Piggies that come from breeders often come with a series of health problems as well - hope someone with some insight on rescues for you will be along soon

I’m sorry for your loss. Unfortunately Scotland is sparse on rescues. How far are you able to travel, as that’s what you’d have to do. Please, as above, don’t go to breeders. They’re not ‘reputable’. If all else fails (try before you decide) then you could consider getting one from a pet shop. However, that must be a last resort. Your remaining female’s needs are a priority but exhaust all other avenues (rescues) first. I hope you can find a solution soon.

Rescue Locator

I’m sorry for your loss. Unfortunately Scotland is sparse on rescues. How far are you able to travel, as that’s what you’d have to do. Please, as above, don’t go to breeders. They’re not ‘reputable’. If all else fails (try before you decide) then you could consider getting one from a pet shop. However, that must be a last resort. Your remaining female’s needs are a priority but exhaust all other avenues (rescues) first. I hope you can find a solution soon.

Rescue Locator
We are willing to travel as far as we have to, but so far any rescue close enough doesn't have a young female, which is what we are looking for. Holly has always been the dominant pig so we really don't want to introduce boars or pigs older than her.

Why not boars? She may be dominant but there is a match out there for her. It’s about character compatibility rather than whether it’s a sow or boar. I wouldn’t discount it as you’re then narrowing your choices.

Why not pigs? She may be dominant but there is a match out there for her. It’s about character compatibility rather than whether it’s a sow or boar. I wouldn’t discount it as you’re then narrowing your choices.
Oh ok- we weren't sure if gender was an issue so thanks.

Gender is not an issue with most. It’s all about whether they like each other. Good luck finding her a friend. Get in touch with the rescues now as there is sometimes a waiting list.

Gender is not an issue with most. It’s all about whether they like each other. Good luck finding her a friend. Get in touch with the rescues now as there is sometimes a waiting list.
I will! Thanks :)

Rescue Locator
Guinea pigs in pet shops are bred by commercial breeders who are 100% in it for the money. if there are no rescue pigs available then I would say buying directly from a non commercial breeder is better than a pet shop as at least you can see how the piggies live and make a more informed decision, there are some who do it for a hobby not to make money.

I don’t know that she would find that information on here. Hopefully the need won’t arise in any case.

I have found a rescue centre with piggies available but it's on the other side of glasgow and it's illegal to leave my area right now so I'm a bit stuck.

Do the rules apply when it comes to animal welfare? Are you allowed to travel if your pet needs to see the vet? Would they be able to meet you somewhere?

You can go to pick up pets its covered Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice for people in England with animals

Buying or adopting a pet
In all tiers, you must follow social distancing rules when buying or adopting a pet.

You should not visit a breeder or rescue centre in person to view an animal in its home environment before buying or adopting it. In tier 4, this is not a reasonable excuse to leave your home.

In all tiers, you should ask for a virtual tour instead. Take extra care to make sure that the seller is legitimate by following government guidance on how to get pets responsibly

Breeders and rescue centres should make arrangements to deliver your pet to you when it is ready to be rehomed. Where this is not possible, and it is reasonably necessary for the pet’s welfare, you may collect the animal. You should collect your pet by appointment only.

In tiers 2 to 4, you must collect without entering the premises where this is a private dwelling.

Check with the rescue as I know my local rspca actually drops animals to their homes (social distancing) if they're not allowed to travel to meet animals at the centre. Obviously, there are other rules and changes, but contacting the rescue directly is your best bet.
Also P&H has rehoming section for unwanted pets, these are often youngsters. However, when you're buying the chances of returning if they don't like each other isn't always there.

On breeders, neither (private or commercial) are better. Both have the same goal and won't show you the whole picture. There were cases when breeders took animals into private homes to "show where the animals came from", when in reality they were from horrific, nasty conditions.

Do the rules apply when it comes to animal welfare? Are you allowed to travel if your pet needs to see the vet? Would they be able to meet you somewhere?
We could definitely check- pretty sure you can travel for animal welfare, would it be ok for a piggie to be travelling for 2 hours?

Yea that would be absolutely fine. Hay and maybe a cucumber in the carrier.

Why not boars? She may be dominant but there is a match out there for her. It’s about character compatibility rather than whether it’s a sow or boar. I wouldn’t discount it as you’re then narrowing your choices.
A neutered boar could make a lovely match for her and may be easier than you think x

A little update- we got a new sow today! Her name is Nova, and she's tiny! We introduced them for a few minutes and they both went to the hay bowl quite happily so it's looking like they'll be able to move in together in a few days. She doesn't seem very interested in her kale but I'm guessing she might not be keen in the first couple days?

So glad you found a friend! But why can’t they move in together now rather than in a few days? If you’ve introduced them you can now separate. They need to live together. How old is your sow and how old is Nova?

Back