Rescue pig SO tame....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

I made a desicion that I would do fostering for Guinea Pigs. I have 4 of my own who are spoilt rotten. I thought I would either foster from a rescue or get free ad pigs - give them the treatment they need & rehome them myself.

In a round about way I obtained 2 pigs from the local free ads. Well they turned up at my door actually from someone who had got to them first & then got cold feet. I had actually seen them advertised myself.

They turned up in 2 decent sized indoor cages with 1 female pig in each. In each cage there was a food bowl with Shredded Wheat >:( (maxthepig member actually has seen one of these bowls as I saved it) >:( Their nails were curled. And they were petrified.
Apparantly there were 2 pigs in each cage owned by twin girls who had lost interest & one of each pair had died.
My daughter & I got them out of the cages and sat with them on the settee & I clipped their nails. Then they took one look at each other and bolted together and literally cuddled (I had checked they were female!):) These poor little buggers had been lonely and seperated for over a year. So the pairing up thing had taken care of its self.

Next step was to clean & disinfect the cages. OMG I have NEVER seen anything like it. There was the thickest crust lining the bottom of the cages. It took me 2 hours to get almost all of the stuff off of just one cage bottom. I made the cage up with 'proper' hay etc & new toys to avoid squabbles. Then it was the task of bathing them! The first one was ok ish skin wise-a little flakey & a few lumps. The PEW was/is terrible obvious fungal infection open cuts/sores and a possible Upper resp tract infection because of laboured breathing. I thought she was going to die through this bath! But it had to be done going into a disinfected clean cage.

Anyway they survived the night and took a couple of days to learn that the chopping board sound means a little bit of proper food!

I got up one morning & the white & sandy girl was shouting at me standing up against the bars! so I picked her up & she just started licking me - trying to get at my face and chuckling when I stroked her. I got the other one out who is very timid & sat with them on the settee. The door bell went so I let them in their fleece & answered the door (in the same room I was in - they weren't left!). I turned round to see the tame girl stood at the edge of the settee squeeking for me hopping from one foot to another! I bent over to her and she started licking my face...then launched herself pretty much into my tea. 8)

They're both with Vedra at the CTT being treated for fungal infections, cysts and a type of stone on the tame ones girly bits. :(

I know that this has been a long winded post but I have never met such a pig. None of mine have ever been that tame. Also after everything they must have been through I'm literally shocked. Has anyone else seen such a turn around in behaviour in such badly treated pigs or is this one of a kind?

M

maxthepig

Hi Hilary :)
Bless the poor girlies, they are very lucky to have you looking after them now, and they really did look very happy at yours.

Erm...I'm not sure about piggie behaviour, but I dont think Audrey (rabbit) had been treated very well- she had mites, sore hocks, very overweight and they wanted rid because the child was bored of her...but she is so loving- she is in fact the most friendly rabbit I've ever met.

Perhaps it is because they are grateful? Just musing ;)

M

maxthepig

maxthepig said:
Hi Hilary :)
Bless the poor girlies, they are very lucky to have you looking after them now, and they really did look very happy at yours.

Erm...I'm not sure about piggie behaviour, but I dont think Audrey (rabbit) had been treated very well- she had mites, sore hocks, very overweight and they wanted rid because the child was bored of her...but she is so loving- she is in fact the most friendly rabbit I've ever met.

Perhaps it is because they are grateful? Just musing ;)
ps, where are you looking for freeads pigs? I got Max from www.admag.co.uk, which is just for midlands area x

H

hils78

musing ;) !
Thanks you!
I just get the admag. Had to stop buying it now incase there are anymore, only have room for these in the shed at the moment...

M

maxthepig

hils78 said:
musing ;) !
Thanks you!
I just get the admag. Had to stop buying it now incase there are anymore, only have room for these in the shed at the moment...
Yes I know what you mean, but i still cant stop looking lol

amillar

Reaction score
Lovely story great pigs are being well looked after.

I found two pigs that had been abandoned and they are very different characters. Pinkie is very tame and will come out and see you and loves to be fussed over. Perkie is shy and like to be left alone. Both hate their back ends being touched and i wonder if this is because they were used for breeding and were over mated. Both were pregnant when i found them.

G

Gemma

Hiya

Aww, they sound like lovely pigs! I took in two freead pigs at the weekend who are both being treated for mites. I can't say they're as friendly as yours but they're coming on in leaps and bounds, every day there's a vast and noticeable improvement in their confidence when I handle them we've gone from trying to get away constantly (picture someone trying to catch a bar of soap in the bath and you get the idea!) to sitting still. They don't quite look confident yet and the younger is much better than the older one but it's only been 4 days so I think we're making good progress.

Hope your girls get well soon.

Gemma x

H

hils78

Gemma said:
Hiya

(picture someone trying to catch a bar of soap in the bath and you get the idea!)
thats quite a good description, made me laugh!

Good luck with yours

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Awww, maybe they knew that you were helping and felt more at ease. They sound beautiful :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
awww what a lovely story, you've just been repaid for your kindness with licking etc, they know the good uns :)

hopperhaven

Reaction score
It sounds as if your girl must have been well treated at some point in her life. Often older piggies get like this wth people. I always say guinea pigs improve with age:)
One of my friendlist pigs came from a soaking wet tiny hutch, totally neglected in someones back garden. She has has had health problem after health problem(so she can't be rehomed) but she is completely unafraid of people:) And a 5 and a half year old I took in a month ago is fearless as well, despite again being very neglected. She too will be staying here for her retirement. She has fitted into my group of oldies perfectly, learning the routine of life in the big enclosure within 24hours. Go to bed at teatime - of course, no mucking about:) Not like younger pigs I could mention ::)

G

GuineaPiggable

Awww!

Thats so mean that people could leave them like that. :'( (the way you got them, I mean) Theyll be happy with you though. She sounds SO cute! Thats so nice of you to take them in.

*~GuineaPiggable~*

Abnoba

Reaction score
I am SO looking forward to hold that little darling!

Only three days to go... :)

She sounds like such a sweetie! And being so tame after all that shes been through... she must be yearning for ANY sort of contact so badly!

Status
Not open for further replies.