• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rescue Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabybim

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, I've recently got two 1 year old albino sows from a veterinary college,( Joan and daphne) and was wondering exactly why a veterinary college would have Guinea pigs in the first place? Was it for testing? The girls seem perfectly healthy but quite timid, which I guess is to be expected. I already have 3 other piggies and hope to introduce them all soon.

There could be several reasons.
They could have been used for teaching purposes - not testing - but to teach vets about that particular species, and give them experience handling guinea pigs, etc.
They could also have been dumped there. It is a problem that many vets face, as it is the obvious place to leave unwanted animals.
They also could have been left there. Sometimes people take their animals in for treatment and then simply can't pay the bills so just don't pick them up.

So there are many possibilities but rest assured that it is not going to be testing.
I hope they get on well with your other piggies - sounds like it will be a nice big group.

Years ago I took in a guinea pig from a local PDSA. Someone had found him wandering the streets and had taken him there as it was the closest vets.

Thanks for your replies , it has put my mind at rest. They are lovely girls and I'll post again to let everyone know how the introductions go(fingers crossed all goes smoothly (, I have one neutered boy 2yrs old , a 6 year old sow and a skinny pig who is currently a full male, so no introductions for him!)

Also I know the girls aren't pure albino , i used to have lethal white , Patrick, who was one of the longest surviving lethals . He was amazing!

Well the girls seem much more settled today , they've been out and about eating greens and came downstairs for a cuddle with me and my mum. Just have to introduce them to the rest of my pigs now( they've already met my very pig friendly cat,Marcus . I think he was happier to see them than they were to see him,)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back