Rescue Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well I rarely moan about anything, especially rescuing as I chose to do it. BUT...
I'm getting to the point of shifting my rescues into P@H as the pigs in the adoption centre seem to get rehomed over true rescue pigs sitting waiting for their new families in rescue centres all around the country.

The pigs in P@H are safe, fed and indoors. There are 100s of pigs that not in those conditions which could be given a new life IF rescues had any space - if you want to help piggies please help the ones that will make a difference and choose a rescue - taking shop pigs will absolve the shops of their responsibilites and they will just be replaced by the next poor unfortunate animal.

Suzy

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well said...I actually got in trouble for telling someone in P@H the only reason half of the animals were in there was as they couldn't sell them and they needed room for more cute babies...ah well, who cares, it wasn't my nice local P@H (the only one I actually like)

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I agree Suzy, I for one openly admit too taking in a Pets at Home adoption which was my Fred. I was very lucky as Fred is healthy.

When I lived in Belfast, I went into pets at home too find a baby guinea pig in adoption with no food, hay or hide. I immediately went to the desk too ask why she didn't have the essentials too allow her to live. To be told she had just arrived with the other babies but as she did not have any eyes, they were unable to sell her so she was placed in adoption.

This reminded me that these animals are merely stock and seen as goods. I do believe to make a difference, you have to hit them were it hurts and being a business that would be there Wallet.

For this reason and many others I will not fund Pets at Home, as I strongly believe all petshops should not sell animals. Rather than put myself though the agony of going in and going "Aw" she needs someone, I choose not too add to the problem by funding such a company.

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself. Until the recent local newspaper article, we had a lot of pigs who had been here since October waiting for homes - nice, young, smooth haired pairs of piggies... nothing 'wrong' with them at all, just not cute babies or sat their with sob stories in the 'adoption' centre rolleyes

It is very disheartening.

Rescue from a rescue - not from a profiteering pet shop

Sophie
x

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, only wish we had room for more than 2 - can only really take 2 on holiday/house indoors over winter.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly in the past week I have heard of more petshop pigs being homed than rescue piggies, the rescues seem to be losing out in the adoption stakes.

Fingers crossed the tide will change and more forum members will choose rescues next time - if you can't resist a sad tale or pair of eyes please look through the Rescue and Rehoming section on the forum so those little pigs, whose rescues can't afford tv advertising or the like, at least get seen and considered.

Suzy x

Reaction score
Suzy, do you advertise in the P@H local to you?

In Leicester we have two P@H.... Honeybunnies advertise in one, have piggies available for adoption up on the wall and the newer P@H which opened in November has adverts for the piggies in Avalon GPR in Nottingham. They both have a good amount of space on the wall where they have their details and adoption notices. I don't know whether they get much interest though, I would imagine Honeybunnies would get more than Avalon as it is a Leicester based rescue, however I could be wrong.

PiggiePal

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I heartily agree Suzy. I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing people on here buying pigs from pets at home. You'd think people would be more educated after spending time on this forum! It makes me mad! :)>>>

chrissy88

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here's an idea then why don't you set up a donation page for a newspaper advertisement for the rescues who need help. Newspaper adverts aren't too pricey but being a rescue every little helps.

Reaction score
I would always go to a rescue over a pet shop, to be honest i'm not really sure pet shops should sell animals at all.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
People do seem to be getting a lot of guinea pigs from pets at home atm which is a real shame. They say they look 'sad' etc but think of the real rescue guineas who are wanting homes.

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All guinea pigs, as with all pets, deserve a happy and well cared for life. If you take the discussion down to pig level, it is as simple as that, and that is how people justify buying from a pet shop adoption section. Non of us could argue with that basic principle. However people, do not fool yourselves that this is not still lining the pockets of business. Your choice is simple: support business or support rescue. The two are most definitely not the same and cannot be justified by a pair of sad eyes.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Their is a well know poem which i always relate to pet shop piggies although its about puppy mills in america, i find it helps put things into persepctive for me, this is one of the paragraphs from the poem which i remember whenever i see a piggie in PAH (i've change the puppy part to piggie):

"You want to take me home with you, a happy little piggie.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will.
If you take me that leaves a spot another pig will fill.
You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home.
You must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all alone.

For if you do not take me, then another pig won't come.
And maybe he will not be shipped so far away from home.
Tho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it falls.
If we don't sell they will not need more piggies in these halls.
And if they need no piggies then the Man will not bring more.

Eventually it can all stop! You CAN close the door.
So when you see a piggy face so sad and sweet and small.
In a cage at a Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall.
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there.
That is the best way you can tell all pigs how much you care.

Hope you dont mind me posting

Laura x

Last edited:

sandra turpin

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Their is a well know poem which i always relate to pet shop piggies although its about puppy mills in america, i find it helps put things into persepctive for me, this is one of the paragraphs from the poem which i remember whenever i see a piggie in PAH (i've change the puppy part to piggie):

"You want to take me home with you, a happy little piggie.
But please, though it is fearful to live here against our will.
If you take me that leaves a spot another pig will fill.
You can stop our suffering but not by taking us home.
You must be strong and leave us here, unsold and all alone.

For if you do not take me, then another pig won't come.
And maybe he will not be shipped so far away from home.
Tho some of us may not survive the cycle 'ere it falls.
If we don't sell they will not need more piggies in these halls.
And if they need no piggies then the Man will not bring more.

Eventually it can all stop! You CAN close the door.
So when you see a piggy face so sad and sweet and small.
In a cage at a Pet Store at your neighborhood shopping mall.
The best thing you can do for him is leave him sitting there.
That is the best way you can tell all pigs how much you care.

Hope you dont mind me posting

Laura x

That poem has me in tears :0

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ooohhh I'm sorry, its a bittersweet poem isnt it? :( Really makes you think :(

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
That's so sad :(, but yet so true. Thank you so much for posting that poem perhaps people may think twice. X

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It is sad but also true, i think and know sometimes when you see pets in pet shops you forget where they come from, and how they have been brought up too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.