Rescue Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chinakit

Seems like quite a few people on here do rescue work. Would be interesting to hear rescue stories. I had loads, from when I used to do small pet rescue.

I remember one woman who came to look at the rescue piggies. She wanted one of my own pigs (Pepsi my BIG Peruvian pet boar) and would not stop trying to get me to part with him. She was really persistent and in the end I told her that he was NOT available and that she would have to leave if she carried on as she was doing. Eventually she left, pigless, but phoned me a few times, still asking for Pepsi, over the next few weeks. Drove me mad, she did.

Some people, eh?

More stories to follow! Anyone else got any?

C

cavykind

Probably my most scariest was when I went to pick up a couple of unwanted guinea pigs following a call from a local woman. Hubby waited in the car and the woman's son took me through to the garden, I thought she was out there and stupidly followed him. Turns out she was actually out and the son was a real odd bod, I think he was "taking something" and he started acting really funny with me. By this time I had the guineas in the box (forget the signing over form) and was desperate to get away. However he kept saying stay and have a drink, come inside... :o
I really was frightened. Thankfully their neighbour came out and asked if I was okay, I ended up leaving via their garden!

I really learnt a lesson that day and realised I was just too trusting. I'm so much more careful now, my husband always comes in with me if I collect guineas or homecheck. I'm also very wary of who I invite to my home and only deal with landlines etc.

You live and learn as I say ::)
Barbara

K

kiraroo

I pick up kittens from all over the place and I never really feel comfortable because usually the areas are not particularly nice. I'm picking up a little ginger fella tonight and I really hope its an ok place

C

cavykind

Do be careful :)

I used to say to my husband "You wait here and watch the car" if we were in dodgy areas, now I think *** the car!
I'm more important ::)

Barbara

C

chinakit

One year, on Christmas Eve, someone phoned me to say she had 13 dwarf hamsters, all female and with cages, and could I take them? Yes, I said, bring them over now.

They arrived in a big cardboard box, THIRTY of them, males and females mixed together, some actually mating in the box. EEEEKK!

I asked her where the cages were, and was she aware that there were males and females all together and she just gave me a blank look. Of course I could not turn them away, so I spent the rest of Christmas Eve sorting out cages for them (ringing round friends at 9pm on that day didn't make me that popular, but they all helped out with spare cages).

Got them all settled down by about 1am .... next morning, Christmas day, one darling girl had a nest of 4 babies ... Luckily only 2 other females were pregnant, and I found homes for all but 4, which I kept until they died of old age.

Some people eh?

C

chinakit

Oh yeah, and when I collected a kitten from someone, they 'wanted rid' because the baby kept slamming her into the floor and they were scared 'he' would scratch the baby. They were not amused when I told them that they should teach said baby some respect for animals.

The kitten ... SHE as it turned out, came home with me, and 5 years on is still with me. She's wonderful, adorable and I wouldn't be without her. I think fate took a hand in that day, as China and I bonded instantly we saw each other (hence my username)!

Status
Not open for further replies.