• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

rescues in Devon

sunflowerpiggies

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Since the death of Pip recently, I have been looking for a new friend for Teddy. I have looked at little Pips, however I believe that it is in Sidmouth which is the complete wrong side of Devon for us as we are in west Devon. I have also found a rescue in Plymouth called Annabel's Piggy Palace Rescue - I was wondering whether anyone has rescued from them before, and if there are any specific questions that I should ask them to insure that they are a good place. Are there any other rescues around west Devon or east Cornwall? Thanks!

Sorry, I've just realised that I've posted this in completely the wrong place - could someone possibly move it to somewhere in the "rescue and rehoming" section?

the only one we have dealt with is Maria’s Animal Sanctuary in Probus between Truro and St Austell, Cornwall. We recently got two females for our bereaved boar Ted. I was very impressed with their set up, vet checks, minimum cages sizes etc. they even had a separate hospital room for poorly guinea pigs which was amazing! Maria’s neuter all their single boars and will only allow Single adoptions for bereaved piggies. they don’t do boar dating sadly. Little Wheekers in Bristol (On Facebook) we’re very helpful too when we were originally looking at boar dating. I think Little Pips has closed, it was when we were looking in February.
Good luck, hope you find her a companion soon x

https://mariasanimalshelter.com/

the only one we have dealt with is Maria’s Animal Sanctuary in Probus between Truro and St Austell, Cornwall. We recently got two females for our bereaved boar Ted. I was very impressed with their set up, vet checks, minimum cages sizes etc. they even had a separate hospital room for poorly guinea pigs which was amazing! Maria’s neuter all their single boars and will only allow Single adoptions for bereaved piggies. they don’t do boar dating sadly. Little Wheekers in Bristol (On Facebook) we’re very helpful too when we were originally looking at boar dating. I think Little Pips has closed, it was when we were looking in February.
Good luck, hope you find her a companion soon x

https://mariasanimalshelter.com/

Thanks for your reply. That's very sad about Little Pips, although i did wonder why they weren't on the rescue locator. I've been checking Maria's website regularly, however they don't appear to have any single boars and unfortunately I think bristol is a bit too far for me.

Email them as some rescues won’t show single boars. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for your reply. That's very sad about Little Pips, although i did wonder why they weren't on the rescue locator. I've been checking Maria's website regularly, however they don't appear to have any single boars and unfortunately I think bristol is a bit too far for me.
They don’t advertise all the piggies they have. When we went just before lock down they had 6 advertised, all couples, or threesomes and around 60 not advertised. My girls had just finished pregnancy watch the day before. they don’t update their website very often, only when a certain volunteer can come in and do it. They do neuter all single boars so you might get a little boar companion? I would send Maria an email and say you are looking for a companion for your bereaved Piggie and see what she comes back with.
Here is Ted, Ginger and Posh with the long hair!FF31A64B-49A1-451A-BBBA-431D80958820.jpeg

I have contacted Annabel's in Plymouth first as it is closer to me, I will see what she says and then maybe email Maria. are there any questions I should ask or signs I should look for in a rescue?
Your piggies look gorgeous, I love Posh's hair!

I have contacted Annabel's in Plymouth first as it is closer to me, I will see what she says and then maybe email Maria. are there any questions I should ask or signs I should look for in a rescue?
Your piggies look gorgeous, I love Posh's hair!
I don’t know really, I think you get a feel for what’s right and what’s not. I was very impressed with both.
I suppose if you where to get a female, have they been on pregnancy watch/spade?
Date of when a boar was neutered and had a vet check afterwards to make sure no problems
Do they do bonding? If so boar/sow etc
If they have been checked and treated for mites/lice or ringworm (our girls were treated for lice, they came from an RSPCA welfare hoarding rescue and most piggies either had ringworm or lice
Age and any illnesses of piggie previously treatments etc
I’m sure there are lots and lots more, I’m a complete notice with using a rescue tbh
Good luck x

Back