• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Research Charities

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jillybean

Not a nice subject, so I'm sorry. Probably like most people on here, if anyone is collecting for an animal charity, I'm really keen to support it, and a lot of other charities also. But, I've recently been asked to sponsor people for a major research charity. I won't name it because it's not fair. I know they do a good job, I totally agree and support research but I just cannot agree when it involves vivisection and they do a lot of this. it's a difficult subject, I lost a very close member of my family to cancer 3 years ago and yes, I would have given anything for the technology to be here that would have cured her but the thought of animal experiments makes me feel sick. When I've told people why I won't support it, they just give me a 'whatever' look, (they don't care because they want to do their sponsored run). Do others refuse to donate because of this reason?

Never thought of it like that! Would like to know what charity you are on about! Can always pm it to me. I just hope it isnt one that my kids do a lot of work for.

Mary

The reality is most of the research charities are likely to test on animals as are the major drug companies that provide not only human but animal medication. It's a difficult one.
When we pick up our prescription from the Chemist or our vet prescribes a new drug that should hopefully prolong and improve our pets life, we just take iaccept it, few of us question how it was developed :-\

I can see where you are coming from and I respect you for refusing to donate to charities that you have reservations about. There are organisations that are funding the research into non animal experimentation and it is these, perhaps that we should be looking at and supporting when we can :)

Good for you for standing up for what you believe in, so few people do now!

Barbara

I'm stuck between a rock and hard place because both me and my kids need quite a few medications and I also cant stand the thought of testing on animals, I use to live near where a big company was building a new laboratory to test on animals and every day I preyed it would fall down, so I give to animal charitys, I use quite a few companys that are animal friendly etc, but it is hard choice,

I'm in the same boat as Michelle, and need to rely on a lot of medication :( I hate the thought of any animal testing and will strive to buy animal friendly products :)

kellyandpiggies said:
I'm in the same boat as Michelle, and need to rely on a lot of medication :( I hate the thought of any animal testing and will strive to buy animal friendly products :)

Every effort helps and if we can't avoid using some products we should perhaps seek an alternative when we can, say cosmetics, toiletries, cleaning stuff...

Barbara

I agree with Jillybean. I tend not to donate to charities that use animals in their research.
I think its not necessary anymore. There are other ways and means (just my opinion)
I offer to donate to something else instead, eg the care of sick people, rather than research on animals to cure them.

Its a very personal thing and whatever you feel comfortable with I think.

I never donate to charities that fund research on animals. I firmly believe that there is no need to continue to test on animals in the 21st century. Also, 9 out of 10 drugs have had to be withdrawn from sale because of conflicting results on animals. Thalidomide being a classic example. Morphine sends cats schitzo but it calms humans down. Yes we are all mammals and yes we are built basically the same but not all animals work the same and as long as they congtinue testing on animals they will never find cures for things like cancer.
But, as you quite rightly point out, we rely on medicines and have to take them. We just have to do our best with the stuff we do have control over.

Yeah people think you are just being tight so I usually make sure I give to other things to show its not that at all! People thought I was a spoiled sport because I wouldnt be involved in a sweepstake for the grandnational because of my concerns for the horses (however much they enjoy it, they fall and break something they have to be shot!) but I joined in on the world cup one. Stick to your guns I say... people who matter will respect you for it. It is such a dilema with cancer... obviously a terrible desease that claims so many lifes... but I don't see the fairness in making many defenseless creatures lives a misery for the faint possibility of helping another 'human' creature sometime in the future. I would be interested to know which charity actually, privately as I do support a sponsored run cancer charity and would prefer to know then I can make an informed decision.

Thanks for all your opinions, it's such a horrible subject I usually try to avoid it. I think we all feel pretty much the same. I'm guilty in that I take medicines etc. I too won't support the Grand National at the work sweepstake - they steer clear of me 'cos they know they'll get a lecture on how cruel it is. If only the powers to be would really clamp down on stopping testing on cleaning products & cosmetics etc. It would be a start at least - and most people object to those being tested on animals, whereas with the medical research, a lot of people support it.

The guy who does the sweepstakes for the Grand National knows to steer well clear of me too after the tongue lashing I gave him ;D
I also won't allow Steve to go fishing.
Everyone has their opinions and levels of right and wrong. If you have principles, whatever they are, stick to them and don't let anyone make you feel bad about them.

DebbieR said:
I also won't allow Steve to go fishing.
Everyone has their opinions and levels of right and wrong. If you have principles, whatever they are, stick to them and don't let anyone make you feel bad about them.

That makes me feel a bit bad now, cos my dad and I are anglers ? We use correct equipment, barbless hooks and handle fish with care..

My response was about sticking to what you believe in, but everyone has thier own interpretation sweetie.
Dont feel bad

I know vegetarians who wear leather
I know meat eaters who are anti -vivisection

Its all about what is right for you and how far you feel you want to take things

Jen

OK, put like that it makes sense. I mean we don't fish to hurt on purpose. Same as the medication, we need it :)

Don't feel bad babe. It's just my personal opinion. If it helps, i'm the only person who thinks I'm right ::) Everyone else thinks I'm barmy. 98)

I have an aunt who's an animal lover but used to go on fox hunts >:( One of the hunt committee was a vegetarian :o

Like I said, everyone has their own ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back