• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Respiratory Infection - How long before symptoms imerge after exposure?

SpookySundae

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So our new little one has been with us for 5 days now and is a pure joy. She is still in quarantine but I cannot wait for her to join Spooky!
Three days after she came to live with us, her old cage mate was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and is on antibiotics.
So far our little one ( no name yet) is showing no signs of illness and I check her over every morning. She is eating, pooping, peeing and full of energy so does this mean she is out of the woods? Is there an incubation period and should I prolong her quarantine?

For something like that I would of thought it wasn't infectious. However I'm certainly no expert on this.

Did you get her from a rescue? I am just a bit concerned to see that she was split from her original cage mate. Piggies can form very strong bonds with a little friend and it seems very wrong that she was taken away from her friend. The stress that this could cause, may have contributed to the other guinea pigs illness.

Did you get her from a rescue? I am just a bit concerned to see that she was split from her original cage mate. Piggies can form very strong bonds with a little friend and it seems very wrong that she was taken away from her friend. The stress that this could cause, may have contributed to the other guinea pigs illness.[/QUOTE

No and her old cage mate is not alone, there were many piggies in there. I wish I could take them all but we cant

Healthy guinea pigs can usually fend off URI from a mate unless it is one of the nastier bugs and not just a standard bacterial respiratory infection. There is a certain risk that they may still be able to pass any bugs on. Please continue with the full quarantine, as tedious as it is; it is important!

PS: I fully sympathise! Dealing with a recent boar fall-out, I have one neutered boar on the last stretch of his 6 weeks post-op wait and his fallen-out already safely neutered companion after two failed bonding attempts in quarantine in another room with a newly arrived unwanted just weaned baby girl, in whose case the need for companionship comes is overriding the need for a strict quarantine. But that means that I will have to treat both piggies for any health issues that could turn up while they go through the quarantine together. And I still have to make sure that nothing is carried into my piggy room with nearly 30 piggies. :(

Healthy guinea pigs can usually fend off URI from a mate unless it is one of the nastier bugs and not just a standard bacterial respiratory infection. There is a certain risk that they may still be able to pass any bugs on. Please continue with the full quarantine, as tedious as it is; it is important!

PS: I fully sympathise! Dealing with a recent boar fall-out, I have one neutered boar on the last stretch of his 6 weeks post-op wait and his fallen-out already safely neutered companion after two failed bonding attempts in quarantine in another room with a newly arrived unwanted just weaned baby girl, in whose case the need for companionship comes is overriding the need for a strict quarantine. But that means that I will have to treat both piggies for any health issues that could turn up while they go through the quarantine together. And I still have to make sure that nothing is carried into my piggy room with nearly 30 piggies. :(

It is so hard but in the end very worth it. So far both of them are happy and healthy and pining for company!

Back