• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Restless

Philippa98

Junior Guinea Pig
I've had my newest piggie about 7 weeks, he is only a few months old. He hasn't bonded so well with my other piggie so currently they are living separately and spending time together in the day however when I pick him up for health checks or cuddles he is so restless, it's not always that he needs the toilet either and he moves a lot and washes his face constantly and stretches then moves again
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Sophie Blane

Adult Guinea Pig
He could just be a very active piggy, what type of cage do you have? You could put a partition down the middle so they could touch noses through the bars without the risk of fighting. I’m not entirely sure though so a second opinion would be ideal

Philippa98

Junior Guinea Pig
I have two separate cages but there both touching so if they want to they can touch noses and they are always squeaking
I'm just a bit worried he lies down on my goes still and starts to close his eyes than jumps straight up and runs round then lies down somewhere else and continues

AlphaUrd13

Junior Guinea Pig
Guinea pigs are very veeery active when they're less than a year old, my piggies are 6 months now and I can't describe how active they are. I made a video tho thru this link Here and Koochi only slowed down when she was near birth and nursing her kids now. They like to be clean too so they groom themselves and wash their faces as often as cats do. There are threads here as of what is normal behaviour and what isn't and some youtube channels like Saskia's guinea pig rescue and Little adventures and also skinnypigs1

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2017/18
Here is a link to the bonding guides.
Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides
It's not a good idea to give your boars time together in the day and to keep seperating them, everytime they go back together they are having to start the bond all over again, they will be getting very confused. His restless behaviour sounds very normal, none of my 6 like being handled, as they get older and used to it they just tolerate it for the shortest time they can get away with!