• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Review: Megazorb

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is megazorb? How cheap is it? How does it compare to carefresh?

I love Megazorb, £6 something for a huge sack! I admit I dont use it for my piggies. I use it for my Degus and a long haired hamster (shavings and carefresh got knotted into his fur!) lasts a while and Ive had no problems with any bad smells. Its quite light so it does get kicked around, I have to vacumn the area around the Degus cages everyday. Carefresh didnt get kicked around so much, but then I would much prefer to run the vacumn around for a couple of minutes a day rather than spend practically triple the price for much less. Megazorb is fab, I give it 5* :)

Although I haven't been using Megazorb for very long, I think it seems fantastic! It smells great, it feels smooth for the piggies feet, you don't have to use that much of it as the wee gets soaked up straight away, and it's also very cheap at only £6.99 a bag!
I use a layer of newspaper with a layer of Megazorb on top (with lino on the floor), and this seems to work very well.

As for where to find Megazorb, it was really easy to find out where your local stockist is, using this website. But, luckily, I asked my local equestrian centre if they could order me a bag of it in, and they did!

I would highly recommend this product. The only problem I would say is that the little bits can sometimes get stuck it their hair - but so far, even my long-haired Guinea hasn't had anything drastically stuck.

I would give this bedding -
1star.jpg
1star.jpg
1star.jpg
1star.jpg
2star.jpg
(4.5 stars)

___

Best regards,
Isabella, Tallulah, Penelope & Lily.
x

What is megazorb? How cheap is it? How does it compare to carefresh?

You can read all about Megazorb here, on the actual website for the people who make it.
Mine cost £6.99 for that bag that you see in the picture, which goes up to about my hip (and I'm 5ft8" ). So it's a reasonably good size. :)

I have never used carefresh, but as Heidi commented "I use it for my Degus and a long haired hamster (shavings and carefresh got knotted into his fur!)", so I am presuming it isn't very good. Where as Megazorb has had a few reviews of it getting stuck in long-haired Guinea Pig's, but I haven't experianced that problem.
Hope this helps. :)p

___

Best regards,
Isabella, Tallulah, Penelope & Lily.
x

Further to my comment a few months ago, I now only use Megazorb and love it! Well, the boys love it. There's still a bit of dust but it doesn't seem to be a problem. It just annoys me when I'm cleaning it out.

I tried swapping to Finacard for a while and it was okay but when I put a scoopful of Megazorb in, my wee Rolf immediately lay flat out on it. That was me told. I ended up giving away a sack of Finacard and now just use Megazorb (with a layer of Cage Fresh cranules underneath). As someone else says, it does smell lovely (when fresh!) and it's very absorbent.

And, let's face it, the pigs chose it. I have no say in the matter now.

I'm afraid I cannot stand megazorb it is utterly awful! The bits fly about everywhere and I find that once the guinea pigs starts running about on it, it just ends up in one pile in the corner - not very useful. grrrr

I also found it very messy, slightly dusty and not as good as other bedding I had tried. Could not get on with it at all so no stars from me I'm afraid.

I use eco pet bed, I can get a 20Kg bag for about £5.50 from a local supplier. It produces a nice think layer of bedding and isn't messy or dusty. Brilliant stuff I LOVE IT!:)

Have been using woodshavings up till now, but having read on here (and elsewhere) about it, I think Megazorb may be a better option - thanks for putting me on to this.

Megazorb

I find it very absorbent and also soaks up smells , it does shift a bit on newspaper ..but at £7.50 a bag it is quite expensive, so will now use it in the bed compartment only ...nice and deep

I use megazorb 4 my 7 piggies and 6 hamsters. It's by far the best product i have found. It absorbs everything and there is never any smell. It is quite expensive, I was paying £7 per bag and then £5 delivery per bag on top of that, but even then i still found it was more ecconomical than anything else i have tried. Luckily i have convinced my local pet shop to stock it, so i get it slightly cheaper now around £9 per bag. A sack usually lasts me 3/4 weeks. I have 1 double cage, 1 2 storey double cage and my girls pen that is 4ft/4ft. I give them all a good clean out once a week, a spot check every morning and a muck out every evening, removing all the damp patches and poo mounds. My wee furry friends love it even Dec who has a particularly sensitive nose.

I give megazorb 5 stars out of 5

A brilliant product

Nicola x

Just thought I would share this... I wrote to megazorb to complain about the recent lack of quality in their products (having use Megazorb for a long time it had suddenly gone down hill). Got this reply:

'The problems you describe are the main reason why we do not recommend Megazorb for small pet use. The product currently, while being a little dustier than you are used to, would be perfectly acceptable in a stable environment. In order to produce a product that would be suitable for small pets the bedding would need to be subjected to much tighter screening controls to remove additional dust and any larger pieces of bedding/wood.

We appreciate that many small pet owners do choose to use Megazorb as it represents such excellent value for money in the 85 litre bags, but we must stress that we cannot guarantee the product’s suitability for such small animals and we always advise caution in use.

I can confirm that we do produce a version of Megazorb called Ultra Absorbent Bedding for Burgess Pet Care. This particular product has undergone the necessary screening for small pets and is available for purchase from a number of retailers on line. This might be an alternative worth pursuing?'

Off to find an alternative now sadly.

What size area are you covering. My girl's run is about 2.5 square metres & 2 bags last 7 weeks, removing all the soiled Megazorb once a week & soiled/damp Megazorb from their houses mid week where they wee most. You only need a 10mm to 15mm layer covered in hay. I buy my hay from a local farm where they keep horses. It's £4 a bale & last 2 to 3 months. It's much fresher that the shop bought stuff. We keep the hay in one of those outside plastic storage boxes you can get from Argos or B&Q.

I would rate Megazorb 5 Stars.

Its 22 square feet (not sure what that is in metres?) I get my hay from 'Dust Free Hay' and most of the floor is covered with it after a couple of days! They like to burrow and I spoil them and yes it costs me a fortune:)) I would normally have rated them 5 stars but this latest lot has been terrible. I just cannot use it anymore.

Updated megazorb review 2/5

Whilst great for smells its expensive and makes me wheeze severely, more than even shavings do. For anyone looking for an alternative fitch is dust free and much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back