• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Review: Woodshavings

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I thought I would make a review page for each bedding so then people can read through each review and can then decide which is best for them.

On this thread please only write a review on what you think of the bedding the topic is about and then out of five stars ***** give it the number you think it should get. (5 stars = best)

Your review should look like this....

"I think.... <write your review>

*** (3 stars)"

If you would like to discuss this particular bedding or ask any questions, please start a new thread or find the approriate thread to post in.

Thanks

Re: Wood shavings - Members Reviews

I think wood shavings do not make the best bedding for my guinea pig. I found it made them sneeze and did not help there skin.

Re: Woodshavings - Members Reviews

i think this product is ok. but i first used this when i got my piggies but changed cos it can cause breathing problems. the hutch got quite smelly withthis stuff.

i giv e it 2 stars **

I think woodshavings work well and do the job, Easy to clean and easy and cheap to get hold of, I now only use it in the litter trays but I like it

**** stars

I think Woodshavings aren't good for the piggies feet, it removes the natural oils which they need and it is quite uncomfertable. It is very dusty and can cause illnesses like URI or Resperiatory problems which I experienced once when I used woodshavings, now all piggies are on vetbed & fleece and seem loads happier and healthier.

* - 1 star!

I cannot use woodshavings as I have pigs with allergies and one that has recovered from an extremely bad fungal infection and so has very sensitive skin.

I am not a fan at all - I think they are dusty and I worry about reported links between the use of shavings and fungal skin problems.

Only * from me!

I'm not a big fan of woodshavings either because there is so much information around that woodshavings can cause fungal problems and it is awfully dusty and doesn't soak up pee very well.

I give it a 1 star *

Love

Claire
x

I have always used wood shavings as part of the bottom litter bit (hay on top).. Have never had any problems with it.

***** 5 stars

i've always used woodshavings in the toilet area..

i stack up all the corners with it as thats where they tend to go to the toilet and i have about 1/4 of the hutch in it as a toile area and a thin layer of it for teh rest of the hutch then i put hay for the rest of the hutch and oodles of it in their sleeping area.

Have noticed that the piggies cough and sneeze.. dont know what its down to but it is very dusty!

I never used it on pigs or rabbits, it's just too messy. I have in the past used it on hamsters and gerbils but many gerbils ended up with allergies from it so I switched to carefresh.
The more I read about woodchips the less I like it, it does have a very piney smell which if strong enough for me to get irritated by god knows how little noses feel with it, for absorbancy it is good but overall I think it's becoming a no no in the general piggy world.

I'd give it 3 stars mainly for absorbancy ***

I have always used woodshavings. I have never had a problem with it. And I love the clean fresh smell of it once all my animals have been cleaned out

I use Woodshavings for both my rabbits and guinea pigs but i think its so messy when i clean them out especially my 3 tier rabbit hutch it gets everywhere and makes my asthma I'm gonna try some of this vetbed stuff everyones on about woodshavings get ** from me as they do still absorb alot x ;D

The CCT (Cambridge Cavy Trust) advise that Wood Shavings are not a suitable bedding for piggys as they can cause Breathing, Skin and potential Eye Problems. In other words by bedding your piggys down on shavings you are risking their health. Infact shavings can kill... it can lead to fatl conditions such as respitory disease (one of the breathing problems) and fungal skin conditions can also claim the life of your piggy if they become systemic (affect the internal organs)... and shavings help contribute to this as they absorb excess moisture. Taking it away from the piggys skin.

On woodshavings I think that Everyone seem to agree sawdust is too dusty to even consider as a bedding and will make pigs kept on it poorly. Shavings are different. I know allot of people use them. Old out of date books and Pet shops eager to make a sale tell you they are fine. And when discussing the issue of their suitability many people tell me this: "I have always used shavings. I have never had any problems. Why should I change?" Perhaps you share their view? Their are allot of other beddings that are definately 'safe' reviewed on his forum. I've popped on here some of the sources for this idea about shavings so you know why- Please take a few moments to read through the arguments against shavings and other bedding options in the other posts so you can make an informed choice as to what is best for your piggys.

Basically they are thought to contribute to eye, breathing and skin problems. Some of which can be serious or even fatal.

Here is a Quote from Peter Gurneys Collins Pet Guide to support the no shavings view:

Mr Gurney says
"There are always fine dust particles in sawdust or wood shavings and as guinea pigs are the type of animals that root around with their noses close to the ground, they breathe these particles…". He goes on to say " Although wood shavings may soak up the animals' urine they do not give it a chance to evaporate. Therefore, on the grounds of hygiene, they are not good idea. If you really want to use shavings, then use shredded paper instead' (page 43).

Also in the Guinea Piglopedia (Margaret Elward & Mette Ruelokke) "Wood chips are a bad idea. Most have wood oils that are toxic to guinea pigs. Even lighter woods are bad, as they are rough and hard and can hurt guinea pigs feet. The best bedding is plain black-and-white newspaper. Line the cage with that. Next add a pile of hay"... (Page 31)

So for these reasons shavins scores no stars from me- a 0.

I have always used wood shavings but I think they make Dr cough so I have ordered some vet bed. Shavings are very absorbent, but they get everywhere! I think I would give them 3 stars because I have nothing to compare them with yet. I do realise that many people agree that they are not good.

Barmy4boars, can I quote your whole post on another forum? its just that I have never ever heard a single person mention that on german guineapigforums before O_o we are all using shavings there I think....

I've seen some shavings branded as dust reduced I got them when I had my hamster a few years ago before I knew the reasons they were unsuitable... they were still very dusty. Don't know how they can make those claims when they are not true.

I'm just wondering, I mean drying feet out and oils and all that aside -

cant hay be dusty too? So wouldnt that make it unsuitable bedding too, and should only be given as food in measured amounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back