• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rice Pops

5StarPigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, so i have seen in many petstores and various online shops these things called, rice pops, fiesta puffs, critter pops. They are all the same thing just with different looks, colors, and names. I have wondered, are these safe to give piggies? Any answers would be appreciated

Attachments

• AA68AA2D-302A-419A-A93B-72F35339B66F.jpeg
    AA68AA2D-302A-419A-A93B-72F35339B66F.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 7
  • CE8B9E23-5BCF-4F56-AE75-F5F296FAE503.jpeg
    CE8B9E23-5BCF-4F56-AE75-F5F296FAE503.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 6433EFD8-7516-4D29-BA79-4A82F059A1CB.jpeg
    6433EFD8-7516-4D29-BA79-4A82F059A1CB.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 6
For variety sake, I give these in small portions. My boy Finn loves this and when he bites on it, it makes crispy noise.
I think they are high in sugar so I don't give them in large amounts, just enough to introduce variety and lesson the boredom.

I agree with seven7 they are usually loaded with sugar, but small amounts will be fine. All living things is never a good brand though... (always glue on the toys, occasionally dye that will come off in water)

I have a pack of these. I give it as a treat after I clean their cage, once a week.

Guinea pigs really don’t need treats. If they are fed a diet of 80% hay , 10% veggies and 10% pellets they don’t need anything else.
Most of these treats marketed for pets are actually of no beneficial nutritional value for a piggy at all. I would avoid them. Give an occasional treat of something they love such as herbs or dried forage instead. Much better for them.

With anything like this I go with the thought “if it’s multicoloured it can’t be good”, that goes with cereals or cat/dog foods like gocat or pedigree. Generally you always find that they’re bad ingredients so I tend to steer clear of anything coloured for my pets.

The best treat for guinea pigs are hay cookies. It fools them to thinking they are being treated but its just very compacted meadow hay in a small cylinder shape

Well everything I see in pet stores has multiple items that I don’t think are good for guinea pigs from what I have read. Like they have yogurt drops they are not supposed to have any kind of milk some of the treats sticks have sunflower seed kernels which can be a choking hazard. I do think it’s best just to stick to vegetables, fruits and Timothy hey! I never buy chew sticks that are dyed, I don’t care what they’re dyed with. I give them a variety of green veggies, like red leaf lettuce, Romain lettuce, butter lettuce, cilantro and once in a while a little bit of kale. Kale can cause a lot of gas, so this shouldn’t be fed too often but my piggies love it! As far as fruits, I give cucumber, apple, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries you name it. Plenty of orange, yellow and red peppers. Carrots once a week because they are high in sugar. I also let them run around the room or in their playpen so they get lots of exercise. I take them to the vet twice a year, I get their nails trimmed because I’m too scared to do it myself lol. Bath once or twice a year, only bc they’re so sensitive to soaps and you have to blow dry them and my piggies hate the blow dryer. 🌬But it has to be done once in a while, BC it can get pretty stinky in there. And after a while if it’s not really clean their fur will absorb their pee 😷Anyway, I think also for a healthy snack, they seem to like the KT forage mix! You can purchase it on Amazon at a very good price! Petsmart costs six dollars and on Amazon it’s $1.87 a bag! I know Rupert and Stewie love to eat this! It has some dried fruit and flowers and they start popcorning around bc they’re so excited to get it lol. I sure made a long post 😛! Everyone take care & God Bless, I hope this helps if you already didn’t know! Thanks for reading.🤗

Well everything I see in pet stores has multiple items that I don’t think are good for guinea pigs from what I have read. Like they have yogurt drops they are not supposed to have any kind of milk some of the treats sticks have sunflower seed kernels which can be a choking hazard. I do think it’s best just to stick to vegetables, fruits and Timothy hey! I never buy chew sticks that are dyed, I don’t care what they’re dyed with. I give them a variety of green veggies, like red leaf lettuce, Romain lettuce, butter lettuce, cilantro and once in a while a little bit of kale. Kale can cause a lot of gas, so this shouldn’t be fed too often but my piggies love it! As far as fruits, I give cucumber, apple, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries you name it. Plenty of orange, yellow and red peppers. Carrots once a week because they are high in sugar. I also let them run around the room or in their playpen so they get lots of exercise. I take them to the vet twice a year, I get their nails trimmed because I’m too scared to do it myself lol. Bath once or twice a year, only bc they’re so sensitive to soaps and you have to blow dry them and my piggies hate the blow dryer. 🌬But it has to be done once in a while, BC it can get pretty stinky in there. And after a while if it’s not really clean their fur will absorb their pee 😷Anyway, I think also for a healthy snack, they seem to like the KT forage mix! You can purchase it on Amazon at a very good price! Petsmart costs six dollars and on Amazon it’s $1.87 a bag! I know Rupert and Stewie love to eat this! It has some dried fruit and flowers and they start popcorning around bc they’re so excited to get it lol. I sure made a long post 😛! Everyone take care & God Bless, I hope this helps if you already didn’t know! Thanks for reading.🤗
It’s always better to start your own thread. This is from 2019 and the poster hasn’t been back on since then.

Guinea pigs do not need regular baths unless they have a dirty bottom. Please stop the baths as they sound to be unnecessary. The more you wash the more they will scent mark (especially boys). If they stink then you need to think about the hay and how often it’s changed. Smelly hay can smell. Also changing bedding too often (mainly boars) can lead to more scent marking.

Also fur does not absorb pee. If they’re smelling of pee then that’s your cue to have them vet checked.

Back