Rice Pops

5StarPigs

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, so i have seen in many petstores and various online shops these things called, rice pops, fiesta puffs, critter pops. They are all the same thing just with different looks, colors, and names. I have wondered, are these safe to give piggies? Any answers would be appreciated

Attachments

Seven7

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
For variety sake, I give these in small portions. My boy Finn loves this and when he bites on it, it makes crispy noise.
I think they are high in sugar so I don't give them in large amounts, just enough to introduce variety and lesson the boredom.

The2musketeers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with seven7 they are usually loaded with sugar, but small amounts will be fine. All living things is never a good brand though... (always glue on the toys, occasionally dye that will come off in water)

AutumnThePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a pack of these. I give it as a treat after I clean their cage, once a week.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Guinea pigs really don’t need treats. If they are fed a diet of 80% hay , 10% veggies and 10% pellets they don’t need anything else.
Most of these treats marketed for pets are actually of no beneficial nutritional value for a piggy at all. I would avoid them. Give an occasional treat of something they love such as herbs or dried forage instead. Much better for them.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
With anything like this I go with the thought “if it’s multicoloured it can’t be good”, that goes with cereals or cat/dog foods like gocat or pedigree. Generally you always find that they’re bad ingredients so I tend to steer clear of anything coloured for my pets.