• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Riffy is going to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor darling Riffy has got bugs. I am taking him tomorrow for an Ivomec jab. It's all Rocky's fault, bringing bugs with him when he came. Of course Rocky has now got rid of the bugs and given them to Riff. ;D

Awww poor Riffy, I thought Zub had bugs but i cant see any so I'm not sure whether to scare him with bathing or not?

Poor Riffy

I hope everything goes well at the vets Lucinda

Love
Claire
x

A bath is good, Verity. I'd recommend Gorgeous Guineas Bug shampoo! ;D

Sorry to here your piggies have had bugs.

I'm surprised that your vet didnt treat all your piggies if one had bugs. My 2 have only had mites onces due to stress of the vets/illness and 1 had them so they treated both of them.

Roger (the vet) did want to treat them all but I said the others seemed Ok. Silly me!
Anyway Riffy was good as gold with the injection.

After he gets on his Ivomec, you should go back every week and get him treated with it again until it goes away. Also I recommend you bathe him in Gorgeous Guineas shampoo (Neem Shampoo for Skin Infections etc) or use a oil soak, it will make him more comfertable because as you know.. Mites is VERY uncomfortable for them.

Sorry he has them and best of luck! x

MODS NOTE: Ivomec is a powerful medicine and should be used with care. There are also many different types and strengths so it must be used with care by experienced people only! Some forms are injectible, others are skin treatments and if one is used incorrectly it could be very harmful.

Injectable ivomec needs to be done once a week for 3 weeks - not until they have gone as it can take time to work. The whole course needs to be done otherwise it may not be fully effective.

Also - ivomec only treats mites - if a piggie has lice bathing or spraying with lice treatment is the only effective method of treatment.

Sorry to get on my high horse about this one but I treat a LOT of skin problem pigs with my rescue work so it is something I am very conscious of.

Kate

didn't know you could put it behind the ears - thanks for that!

I already use GG shampoo and they love it! ;D

Riffy is going for a booster tomorrow before the hols. Poor love, bugs still there, but not as bad.

best of luck. surprised its still there. the injections are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back