• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ringworm, anti fungal bath?

dan3008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys

So my 3 boys are 1/2 way through a course of itrafungol for ringworm.

I've seen a number of mentions online about using an anti fungal bath to make sure there are no spores lingering on their fur.

This wasn't mentioned by my vet, but I guess makes a lot of sense.

Just trying to gauge if this is a good idea, and if so, what should I use to bath them?

Thanks

I've already got some "small pet shampoo " recommended by p@h but not sure if this will actually be any good

Hi guys

So my 3 boys are 1/2 way through a course of itrafungol for ringworm.

I've seen a number of mentions online about using an anti fungal bath to make sure there are no spores lingering on their fur.

This wasn't mentioned by my vet, but I guess makes a lot of sense.

Just trying to gauge if this is a good idea, and if so, what should I use to bath them?

Thanks

Hi

For a one off, nizoral or an anti-dandruff shampoo will do fine. You find the particulars in our comprehensive ringworm hygiene guide in which all our experience on here has been distilled. We have had nearly 15 years to really work out in just how many ways spores can be transmitted, find out what works best and how to cut off any potential further problems.

I've had ringworm carried into my piggy room twice via the coat of piggies either previously affected or in contact with acutely affected piggies. The second time (3 years ago) I followed the whole protocol myself with an outbreak in a room of 30 piggies. I managed to keep it to that one single affected piggy and haven't had any problems since. So the tips in our ringworm guide REALLY work!
Many vets are not quite aware of the practical side of it, but in view of the pandemic, our recommended measures will make more sense whereas before they looked a bit like overkill.

Here is the guide. You should find it very helpful: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

You can find all our information guides via the shortcut on the top bar, by the way. Our information resource on here is one of the largest and most comprehensive you'll find. The guide format allows us to add and update at need. it is well worth having a look and browse through there!

I’ve never bathed them, when using Itrafungol. My vet has never said this needs to be done and I’ve always had good results by using itrafungol, without any other treatment.

Barri did have another ringworm outbreak after his adoption but hasn't had a third one in the three years since. I did make sure that there were no spores sitting loosely in his or his wife's coats (where itrafungol can't get at them) or anywhere he had been in contact with during his quarantine or in the piggy room at the end of treatment before they went back into the piggy room.

Hedydd carried ringworm into the Tribe when I adopted her in December 2011; the ringworm carried on in 2-3 waves well into 2012 with another little flare (quickly dealt with thanks to intrafungol and may experience by now) in 2013. Ceri was the first piggy to trial itrafungol for Simon because her irregular heartbeat meant that the medicated baths at the time (mainly malaseb) were not strong enough to stop it from moving around her her face. Itrafungol was only coming in around that time.
Hedydd herself was never affected by ringworm but as a still nursing baby had passed her quarantine with her family who were. In the wake of that experience I and several rescues have taken to giving ringworm piggies a bath before adoption/mixing with other piggies because carrying spores in her coat is the only way it could have come with her. She never had ringworm herself. I've learned my various lessons re. ringworm the hard way during that time in just how many ways it can be transmitted directly or indirectly, and how long lived spores are!

As I’m part of a rescue we do get cases of fungal from time to time. At the end of their treatment with itrafungol as a belt and braces approach I either do a one off imaverol dip or a final bath in either F10 shampoo or Malaseb shampoo but it shouldn’t really be necessary as the itrafungol is killing off all the spores systemically.

Back