• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ringworm in humans.

Pawz

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have to say this is not fun at all, I’m still awaiting the official diagnosis from the vet on one of the cats (as dermatologists don’t do tests but vets do)
Dermatologist thought it was a “dust allergy” where dust had gotten into a scratch and reacted wit a bacterial infection (yeah right!), this was even after explaining some of the pets were showing the same lesions. Dippy dermatologist, she is not my usual one and it was my first and last time I will see her.

Anyway, just as my lesions were almost gone a week after treating them myself (although I need to keep treating for a week after they vanish) with some over the counter anti fungal cream ...I have noticed what looks like the start of a new one :td:. By some miracle so far I am still the only human with the patches...praying it stays that way. But I just wanted to warn other pet owners that this is not fun at all. For me the lesions do not itch at all but they are such a nuisance to get on top of. The vet warned me ringworm can be something you might never truly eradicate for a long time because the spores have such a long life (18-22 months, and 1 spore can restart the entire infection in everyone.

So if your vet shows signs of dry crusty skin, don’t ignore it thinking it’s nothing. Get a vet check ASAP because if it’s ringworm it’s a long tough fight.

I am very sorry! I hope that you can get on top of it quickly, and permanently. It's not as easy with a cat because you cannot quite confine it as you can affected piggies.

Ringworm is no fun at all and not fun at all to get rid of, as I know from personal experience. :(
The most difficult problem for ringworm pet owners in my experience is that you cannot really control all the unthinking ideasyncratic gestures that you make, the little scratches and rubs as well as controlling the areas on your body beyond your gloves, which is why ringworm often appears on your neck, your arms, legs or your face - where you or your pet touches you during treatment and you accidentally transfer a spore. :(

I know that our ringworm hygiene guide sounds like total overkill to those who first read it, but it isn't!
It is a result of finding all the various ways transmission can happen the hard way; behind each tip is a lesson learned.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

So sorry you are going through this @Pawz.
It sounds grim, and as someone who has also been through ringworm treatment (admitedly under slightly different circumstances) you have my depest sympathies.

I bought myself some anti-fungal shampoo today because my scalp is rather itchy and i’d rather err on the side of caution and act as if I have some there.
You should have seen the line in the pharmacy step back when I mentioned a fungal skin infection! I felt like a lepar :lol!:

Last edited:
I am very sorry! I hope that you can get on top of it quickly, and permanently. It's not as easy with a cat because you cannot quite confine it as you can affected piggies.

Ringworm is no fun at all and not fun at all to get rid of, as I know from personal experience. :(
The most difficult problem for ringworm pet owners in my experience is that you cannot really control all the unthinking ideasyncratic gestures that you make, the little scratches and rubs as well as controlling the areas on your body beyond your gloves, which is why ringworm often appears on your neck, your arms, legs or your face - where you or your pet touches you during treatment and you accidentally transfer a spore. :(

I know that our ringworm hygiene guide sounds like total overkill to those who first read it, but it isn't!
It is a result of finding all the various ways transmission can happen the hard way; behind each tip is a lesson learned.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Thanks Wiebke and yes indeed it’s a total pain in the behind with cats because they will track spores across everything, especially my lovely long haired kitty! Thankfully we can use the cat shampoo to disinfect floors and surfaces and even soak material items in it... although once we have finished the treatment round and know how much shampoo is left over because that stuff is EXPENSIVE. 10times the cost of a human anti fungal shampoo.

Thanks Wiebke and yes indeed it’s a total pain in the behind with cats because they will track spores across everything, especially my lovely long haired kitty! Thankfully we can use the cat shampoo to disinfect floors and surfaces and even soak material items in it... although once we have finished the treatment round and know how much shampoo is left over because that stuff is EXPENSIVE. 10times the cost of a human anti fungal shampoo.

Have you considered using F10 disinfectant (especially the concentrate for a large spaces)? It is clinically proven to kill ringworm spores.
That is what I use for my piggy room floor as well as soaking and cleaning all grids, dividers and huts with.

Have you considered using F10 disinfectant (especially the concentrate for a large spaces)? It is clinically proven to kill ringworm spores.
That is what I use for my piggy room floor as well as soaking and cleaning all grids, dividers and huts with.
It’s not so easy to get here without large shipping costs but I am considering it depending on how we get on. This is why I figured for now we may just use the excess mixed after treating the cats, their shampoo was extortionately expensive so may as well use what I paid for. But I may order some F10 on the weekend depending on how things ar looking. I do a check for any lesions/new lesions twice a day on everyone.

I have to say the fungal shampoo is amazing. My head feels so much calmer so am guessing I have some on there and that’s where I was reinfecting myself. Humans are terrible at NOT touching their hair. I have to use the shampoo every day for 5 days in a row. I slept so much better last night if you don’t count a coughing child disturbing my slumber at 4am.

I also have some defense soap on the way to wash with as an extra step as that’s reputed to nuke ringworm in a matter of days.

The worst affected cat has only 2 lesions and the cats are bathed every 4 days for 4 rounds as instructed by the vet. So I am quietly confident we may get on top of this quite quickly.

It’s not so easy to get here without large shipping costs but I am considering it depending on how we get on. This is why I figured for now we may just use the excess mixed after treating the cats, their shampoo was extortionately expensive so may as well use what I paid for. But I may order some F10 on the weekend depending on how things ar looking. I do a check for any lesions/new lesions twice a day on everyone.

I have to say the fungal shampoo is amazing. My head feels so much calmer so am guessing I have some on there and that’s where I was reinfecting myself. Humans are terrible at NOT touching their hair. I have to use the shampoo every day for 5 days in a row. I slept so much better last night if you don’t count a coughing child disturbing my slumber at 4am.

I also have some defense soap on the way to wash with as an extra step as that’s reputed to nuke ringworm in a matter of days.

The worst affected cat has only 2 lesions and the cats are bathed every 4 days for 4 rounds as instructed by the vet. So I am quietly confident we may get on top of this quite quickly.

Vircon is available world-wide and pretty effective as a disinfectant, too. Personally I have found it useful to always have a stong disinfectant at home since having pets; you never know when something happens, but it is generally at the most inconvenient of times.
I also find F10 useful with a tummy bug, flu or cold as a lot of the transmission also happens via toilet buttons, taps, door handles or light switches you share with infected people. It helps to keep transmission down, on top of regular handwashing. The more you can remove mechanically, the less you have to treat.

We recommend a whole body nizoral/anti-dandruff shampoo for humans dealing with ringworm piggies in order to prevent an outbreak - that is basically what you are doing with the cat shampoo; they are all anti-fungal treatments. Any active ingredient ending in -conazole is anti-fungal, whether you apply it to the skin as a cream, dip or shampoo or take it orally as medication. ;)

All the best! F10 is NOT for use in the washing machine, but any wash over 60 C/140 F should take care of any spores. If you have special washing powder for more delicate laundry items, that will help, too. I am aware of the clothing angle as I managed to transmit ringworm that way once between piggies in two separate groups; the tips are incorporated in the hygiene guide.

Just such a nuisance to get on top of it all! Make sure that you have at least 3-4 fungal shampoos on yourself, spaced three days apart. :(

So sorry you've gone through all this @Pawz, really hope you can get on top of it all with the meds/shampoo and glad you're not as itchy! x

I ordered some F10 just as a precaution. Takes a while as I could only get it sent from the UK. Figured it will be handy to have even if we hopefully don’t need it by the time it arrives.

I have no idea what sort of condition the next rescue kitty will arrive in...so who know maybe we will be facing a fresh batch of ringworm. At least by then i’ll have a small arsenal of products to wage war with.

All stocked up with troublesome meds for troublesome pets, sounds good! God, Ped's been a nightmare but think you're overtaking that with the cat with issues! At least not proper baths I suppose, could be worse!
Mr kitten needs to get a job and start repaying stuff I think, his new slaves should set up a bank account, a payment plan or something :)

Back