• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ringworm Scabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbiewilson

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
morning,

I have two new little boys who unfortunately have got ringworm. Been to the vets who has given us the meds. My question is it normal for guinea pigs to keep biting the scab off? Everytime we put the meds on his little scab he bits it away until it bleeds again only been two days but worried he is making it worse

Hi! What medication are yours on?

Ringworm is VERY painfully itchy and it gets wrose before it gets better as you need to treat the whole affected area and remove all hair from it eventually (ringworm also sits at the hair roots). Please be also aware that ringworm is highly infective and one of the very few things that can apss on to humans and other mammal pets.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

Where are you located? Could you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can tailor our advice to what is available where you are, please. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Thank you kindly for your responses.

I have phoned the vets and they have recommended to give him the oral treatment that is on the link that was sent but the treatment for the wound just canisten until he has stopped biting it as the Medicene that has been givin may string as the wound is so fresh

If you could order enicolazole dip from Hyperdrug, this would be the best medication for that close to the eye, as it doesn't sting and it is milder for especially young guinea pigs. I assume that you are in the UK?

Yes I am in the UK. He has one on his nose and one on his side I will post a picture later

If you could order enicolazole dip from Hyperdrug, this would be the best medication for that close to the eye, as it doesn't sting and it is milder for especially young guinea pigs. I assume that you are in the UK?[/

Update on the situation.
I left Eric alone for a little while and I've noticed he has made a new wound next to his old scab on his side. I will be taking him to the vets in the morning could this be mites?

Last edited:
Ringworm needs to run its cause; it spreads a lot further before it is over. The most itchy and painful bit is the ring around the bald patch. Please be aware that canesten 2% is too strong, but canesten 1% may not cut through the ringworm on its own.

Please have a look at the pictures in our ringworm information thread; they show you the different stages. Good hygiene is also vital to prevent infecting yourself, an children and other pets in your household.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

It doesn't look like the pictures it's more of a graze. I'm trying to upload a pic from my phone

Update;

Phoned the vets as the sores are getting worse. It looks like it is Mites and they are going back in the morning for treatment.
Have many people had experience with mites in pups?

Has the vet determined that there is definitely no Ringworm? it is possible for them to get mange mites and Ringworm at the same time. For mange mites treatment is with Ivermectin, at least 3 doses about a week apart. Injections are the most effective so if your vet would do that instead of a spot on treatment it would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back