• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Ringworm??

GuineaPiggy101

Junior Guinea Pig
I was wondering what the visible sign of ringworm are.... If any of you could offer any assistance I would be grateful... :)

Wiebke

Staff member
I was wondering what the visible sign of ringworm are.... If any of you could offer any assistance I would be grateful... :)
Please read this guide here; it contains plenty of ringworm pictures from all stages of a ringworm infection: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

PS: This link has been contained the in the previous links I have posted before on your threads. Please take the time to read those links! it can save you a lot of unnecessary worries and panics. ;)

Please also keep all questions belonging to the same piggy and the same health issue to your original thread. We have the 1 case = 1 thread rule in order to to prevent confusion and misleading advice and too many unnecessary threads clogging up this section. you can always set your own alert for any new posts on your thread by clicking on the 'watch' button on the right at the start of the tread. Thank you!

Wiebke

Staff member
Oh my gosh... After seeing this I think that my guinea may have ringworm...
Please follow the hygiene tips in our ringworm guide. They work if you follow our advice. Ringworm is incredibly infective and the invisible spores can hang around a long time. :(

if you can afford it, see a vet; we do not recommend to treat on spec at home if at all possible, especially not with just creaming - you'll never got on top it that way. If you are still within a month of purchase, you can reclaim the vet cost from the pet shop as exposure and outbreak must have happened at the shop and the outbreak/treatment falls under your customer protection rights.
More information in this link here. Please read the full guide and also see any further links with information.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...inea-pigs-vet-checks-sexing-parasites-illness.

GuineaPiggy101

Junior Guinea Pig
Please follow the hygiene tips in our ringworm guide. They work if you follow our advice. Ringworm is incredibly infective and the invisible spores can hang around a long time. :(

if you can afford it, see a vet; we do not recommend to treat on spec at home if at all possible, especially not with just creaming - you'll never got on top it that way. If you are still within a month of purchase, you can reclaim the vet cost from the pet shop as exposure and outbreak must have happened at the shop and the outbreak/treatment falls under your customer protection rights.
More information in this link here. Please read the full guide and also see any further links with information.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...inea-pigs-vet-checks-sexing-parasites-illness.
Ok... Will do... Thank you for being so supportive... :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Ok... Will do... Thank you for being so supportive... :)
I know that the tips work because after years of having piggies I have tried about about every treatment and have found about every way ringworm can be transmitted. Last autumn I had an outbreak in a room with 30 piggies. Thanks to proper hygiene (and it was a LOT of work taking all nearly 100 grids and well over 100 connectors apart and disinfecting them all!), not to mention disinfecting the whole piggy room and contents, I could confine the outbreak to just the one affected piggy and it never got any further than being a nuisance at a very busy time.

The best thing apart from proper fungal treatment is investing in a vet grade disinfectant (you can find US brand recommendations in the guide) and in disposible gloves and some old clothes that don't mind being washed at high temperatures. Getting on top of all those pesky spores is no fun, but if you do it right by following our advice, you only have to do it once. ;)