• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rip Baby Nook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gethenian

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Nook02.jpg Nook05.jpg

It's taken me a while to post here because... I wasn't really ready to put what I felt into words. I hadn't processed it. I had her for such a short time -- only 9 days.

I was told she was 4 weeks old when I got her, which I know is early to separate babies from their mother, but the circumstances -- which I am not clear on the details of -- made it necessary. I didn't plan to adopt a second piggy the day I got her. But it was love at first sight when I saw her and I had meant to get my first piggy, Kindle, a friend much sooner. So Nook came home with me.

From the start, she had a real personality, and it fascinated me. She was very different than my first piggy Kindle. Nook was fearless and didn't mind me putting her into any sort of temporary carrying container or climber I pleased. She loved to explore -- everything, everywhere! She loved to climb and be high up. And when she'd finally tired herself out, she picked a fuzzy crinkle ferret-tunnel as her favourite place to sleep, and sprawled herself out and snoozed while I watched. All of these things are opposite to Kindle's much more reserved and cautious personality.

I only once ever saw any sign of illness in her, which I determined was due to dust from the construction going on downstairs, not her being sick. She was peppy and happy and had a good appetite until what must have been only hours before she died. The evening of April 27th, my sister went up to feed my piggies some fresh veggies since I was away that night. She told me Nook accepted them and munched them down with gusto, wheeking softly as she did.

The next morning, when I got home, I went upstairs to check on the girls. Nook appeared to be asleep in her crinkle tube. I opened her cage just to give her a poke and wake her, and knew immediately that she was dead. Her body was cold under my hand, and stiff when I lifted the tube up to look in at her. Her eyes were open, but she was lying down as if asleep.

I don't know why she died. I took the best care of her that I could, but folks on the forum have told me that sometimes ones so young just... stop living.

I do miss her. She was so spirited. And I'm sorry I'll never see her grow big enough for me to tell if she was long-haired like I thought she might have been. She would have been so beautiful.

I'm so very sorry that you lost little Nook. She was a gorgeous wee thing. I'm sure she had a happy time with you, even though it was so short. You gave her a lot of love.

We once lost a little piggy at a similar age, and after a similar length of time. It is extremely sad, and I feel for you.

Rest in peace, Nook. x

Oh No! What a wonderful little piggy, I'm really sorry @Gethenian . Far too soon. RIP sweet and confident little Nook x

Aww that bought a tear to my eye. I'm really sorry for your loss, she looked like a lovely little girl. RIP Nook.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight gorgeous little one xx

I am ever so sorry for your loss. Nook was a beautiful girl! Sadly, a heart attack or a stroke can strike at any age out of the blue; sometimes, a piggy can even still have some food in its mouth. Some piggies live with a hidden time bomb in their bodies. The shock of the unexpected death is very hard to cope for us, as we cannot brace for it and instinctively look for things that we could have done wrong, so the inevitable feelings of guilt that are typical for the onset of the grieving process tend to be even stronger.

It sounds like Nook lived her short life to the full and has had the happiest of time. She will always have a very special place in your heart.

RIP little girl!

So very sorry to hear of your sad loss:bye:. Pop-corn free at the Bridge, Nookie.

I am ever so sorry for your loss. Nook was a beautiful girl! Sadly, a heart attack or a stroke can strike at any age out of the blue; sometimes, a piggy can even still have some food in its mouth. Some piggies live with a hidden time bomb in their bodies. The shock of the unexpected death is very hard to cope for us, as we cannot brace for it and instinctively look for things that we could have done wrong, so the inevitable feelings of guilt that are typical for the onset of the grieving process tend to be even stronger.

It sounds like Nook lived her short life to the full and has had the happiest of time. She will always have a very special place in your heart.

RIP little girl!
Beautifully put, and I can add that my little Cloud died suddenly of a heart attack at a year and a few months old. I saw her go, and it certainly looked like a heart attack anyhow. Admittedly she was older than sweet little Nook, but still a young piggy who should have been in the prime of her life with a long life ahead. It is an awful and very sad shock.
As you say, I think her's was a ticking time-bomb, as was Nook, without warning and with nothing that could have been done.

Beautifully put, and I can add that my little Cloud died suddenly of a heart attack at a year and a few months old. I saw her go, and it certainly looked like a heart attack anyhow. Admittedly she was older than sweet little Nook, but still a young piggy who should have been in the prime of her life with a long life ahead. It is an awful and very sad shock.
As you say, I think her's was a ticking time-bomb, as was Nook, without warning and with nothing that could have been done.

I have lost two young and seemingly healthy piggies to sudden acute heart failure within a year of each other, one at one year old and one only days after her second birthday (Telyn, the white aby in my avatar). It can sadly happen to anybody/anypig, and even rushing them to the vet asap won't do anything. In fact, Ffion passed away during the examination. I was shaking like a leaf when I left the clinic in shock. :(

I am so sorry for your loss, when we lose a soul to soon from this world it hurts so much... <3

I am so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous piggy. Her life was short but full of love from you. Massive hugs

Sleep well little one

RIP Nook
x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back