• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ripped Nail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I noticed this morning that one of my piggies is missing the end of her nail and it had a very small amount of blood there which is now dry/scabbed over. is there anything i should do with it, bathing or creams or just leave it alone? She doesn't seem to be in any pain even when i touch it.

I would recommend to disinfect with either hibiscrub or with saline solution, either sterile one from the pharmacy or homemade by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 pint of boiled cooled water. In most cases, the nail will grow back, even if it may be thicker depending on badly the nail bed is affected. See a vet if you notice signs of infection, like swelling, heat or redness.

Thanks @Wiebke, when I went back to check her foot, it looked clean and no signs of infection or inflammation so I did just leave it and so far so good. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back