• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Room with woodburning stove?

Charadrii

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am hoping to get my guinea pigs later this year but in the mean time want to do as much research as possible.

I plan to keep my pigs indoors in a c&c cage. My question is can they be in the same room as a woodburning stove if it is modern, well sealed and properly maintained? Or would the fumes be dangerous? The cage will be table height so off the floor, at the other side of the room to the stove and there will be a carbon monoxide detector.

Thank you

:wel: to the forum. I am pleased you are doing your research into everything before getting your guinea pigs. I'm sure whatever protection from fumes you have for humans and wood burning stoves is sufficient protection for your guineas.
My concern would be the variation in temperature between when your stove is burning and when it isn't.

I'm just going to grab this opportunity to ask if are you planning to adopt your guineas from a rescue? There are some very good rescue centres in the Yorkshire area.

Details can be found on our rescue locator.
Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

Hello, I am hoping to get my guinea pigs later this year but in the mean time want to do as much research as possible.

I plan to keep my pigs indoors in a c&c cage. My question is can they be in the same room as a woodburning stove if it is modern, well sealed and properly maintained? Or would the fumes be dangerous? The cage will be table height so off the floor, at the other side of the room to the stove and there will be a carbon monoxide detector.

Thank you

Hi! A modern woodburning stove should be OK as long as you keep the monoxide detector battery regularly changed. They react more sensitively to it than humans; we have seen the rare fatal case from badly maintained heating systems in rented accommodation.

Check your monoxide level, move your piggies out and see a vet asap as an emergency if your piggies are suddenly lethargic and off food.

Thank you both. I don't have the stove or the guineapigs yet, but would like to do both and just needed to check first!

Yes I am planning to get from a rescue. I will be checking out the ones listed here. I also plan to come back here and ask lots of questions and check my set up before I go ahead 🙂

Back