Ruby is totally annoying Daisy

RubyandDaisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi All
Wondering if you could help at all. For the last 48 hours Ruby has been following Daisy around with basically her head up Daisy’s bum. I’ve looked on line and don’t know if this is dominant/in season behaviour. Ruby and Daisy have been together since birth and have always gotten on okay. Daisy is rapidly loosing patience with Ruby and there have been a few instances where a fight has nearly broken out.
I’ve moved their main cage around so that there are food/water bottles/ bed at either end with a big pile of hay in the middle.
Both appear to be eating and drinking correctly.
could anyone help?
Advice greatly appreciated.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All
Wondering if you could help at all. For the last 48 hours Ruby has been following Daisy around with basically her head up Daisy’s bum. I’ve looked on line and don’t know if this is dominant/in season behaviour. Ruby and Daisy have been together since birth and have always gotten on okay. Daisy is rapidly loosing patience with Ruby and there have been a few instances where a fight has nearly broken out.
I’ve moved their main cage around so that there are food/water bottles/ bed at either end with a big pile of hay in the middle.
Both appear to be eating and drinking correctly.
could anyone help?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Hi!

How old are your sows? Has one of them been ill recently?

A recovering piggy can drive their companion mad by trying to the poos that contain the digestible fibre for a second run through the gut, including some healthy gut microbiome to get their own digestive system back into swing.

In teenagers, especially around 6 months, it is usually a sign of a strong season and in adult sows - especially when issues persist - it can mean a vet trip to check for ovarian cysts.
Here is more information on these two aspects: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

RubyandDaisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Great thank you. They are about 6 months now so it makes sense. They’ve both been healthy and no problems as far as I know. Ruby was rumble strutting a couple of weeks a go. I’ll keep an eye on things.
thank you for your help.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Great thank you. They are about 6 months now so it makes sense. They’ve both been healthy and no problems as far as I know. Ruby was rumble strutting a couple of weeks a go. I’ll keep an eye on things.
thank you for your help.
If it is any consolation, this is the worst age and they are unlikely to fall out.
You may find the link to the strong season videos in the sow guide helpful in easing your mind. :)

RubyandDaisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks I’ll take a look at the videos. They are behaving like petulant teenagers at the moment 😂. All those racing hormones. Daisy just looses patience with Ruby harassing her then there’s a telling off. Sounds far worse than it is. I’ve been checking them both over and no injuries. Daisy is top girl so she’s not amused by all this.

think I’m more worried about it than they are 😂.

RubyandDaisy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If it is any consolation, this is the worst age and they are unlikely to fall out.
You may find the link to the strong season videos in the sow guide helpful in easing your mind. :)
I think they’re calming down. It’s been an interesting few days but there’s a bit more peace now

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I think they’re calming down. It’s been an interesting few days but there’s a bit more peace now
The hormone spike around a big season has obviously died down. Because sow teenage hormones rarely lead to fall-outs, they are not at all well known but they can really upset you when you get a full dose!